How do I know if my new dog was hurt before?

A dog was left on our property and he is nice to us all. The dog is not afraid of the kids. But when an adult pets him he cowars and closes his eyes. He has alot of old and new scare tissue all over his nose. I was just wondering if I was wondering if it was a possibility that the previous owners (we don't know who they are) might have hurt the dog in some way?

daisy884

Asked by daisy884 at 1:16 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Pets

• it is definitely a big possibility. that is usually the telltale signs of abuse. That behavior can be reversed though. Makee sure no adults approach the dog. Let the dog come to them and smell them, this will build a trust, then make sure they move slowly when they go to pet him. A trainer can help you in getting him to be more comfortable around adults. So dont think its a lost cause, but Im sure he probably was abused. good luck!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 1:25 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• they can also feel alittle betrayed by whoever dropped them off one of ours when I took out a pan to cook he ran and then I dropped the pan and ran to him he had probaly ben hit with a pan but we worked on that so he would realize he would never be hit with a cooking pan in my house !!!but being head shy means they were probaly hit around the head use alot of treats and sweet talk then he can relearn about good people
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Since he is showing sign of abuse, especialy to his head and face, try having everyone not approach to fast and if you do make happy sounds, and pet him under his head on his neck., or under his chin .When you tower over a dog, it means domenince so try slow approches or call him to you and have a treat in your hand for him to TAKE from you. keep your hands to the side or under chin area till he knows that he isn't going to be mistreated again. We have a rescue dog that hates his head touched or his ears to be touched. So we use another approch to show him we mean no harm. He will let you clean his ears, just not to pet or rub his head or ears. Another abuse case, being worked on. So keep tryng and don't give up. He sounds like a nice doggy.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 1:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• we have a shepherd that was bought and returned to a pet store.she is 3 yrs old and i know who ever had her before abused her.same as above she doesnt like her ears touched.she is deathly afraid of brooms.and very skiddish.she also cowers.she is not half as bad as when we got her .but i cant imagine that much hurt being caused in that short of time.there are definitly signs.she is still a shepherd so she is still prtective and doesnt like kids at all. but i know that and keep them away.she likes my daughter though and has never growled or snapped at her.we got her at 6months.like the new mspca commercial everybody hurts sometimes heart wrenching...
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2009