Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE HELP! Ohio custody question.

I am in the middle of a custody battle, which is basically a visitation battle. The courts just granted my daughters father who hasn't been in her life in almost 2 years, which is almost her whole life, overnight visitations. I am a stay at home mom, I stay home to make sure my precious little one is always with me and safe. How can I continue to do this if the court is ordering me to hand her over to a man she doesnt know? Her being gone overnight means she will be away from me for 32 hours, when she has never been away from me for 32 minutes. I dont know what to do but I cant just stand by and watch her "father" who is not a good man take off with her. I can't stand not knowing my baby is safe. Does anybody know of a legal way in ohio to get him out of our lives for good? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (9)
  • is he paying child support? Also, if you have any documentation that he should not be alone with her I would produce it. Otherwise, you'll have to comply and just watch her behavior and make sure there are no new or weird marks on her when she comes home. Why do you say he is not a good man?

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

  • try link on Know the Laws and find Ohio. See if they have anything of use. Then go to (2 v's not a w) and see if a free attorney can advise you.

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:34 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

  • I say he is not a good man because he has gotten heavily into drugs and parties alot. However, the courts are telling me I am going to provide hardcore evidence such as pictures and I am not able to get pictures. Thank you all for the help so far.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

  • Child support has NOTHING to do with visitation. It seems ridiculous, I know, but he could be behind in child support thousands of dollars and nothing will matter.

    I would check with an attorney to see what your options are.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

  • I say if she truly truly is in danger then fight it, I know for my kids I did, there father was abusive to me, police records and all, was into drugs and he now has no parental rights and my husband has adopted them but then on the other hand my husband is in a battle with his sons mother who is vindictive and does not want the child around me so she is running from the courts and doing all she can to hide so we cant serve her for legitimation, there is always two sides to every story and going through this with my husband which has been one big nightmare I see a lot of leeway that moms have when it comes to family court and sometimes that leeway can go in there favor and hurt the other parent and the child all for the mom being vindictive. If you in your heart though fear for her safety then I say fight it.

    Answer by lisadallasr at 8:43 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

  • Thank you. I get a little more hope everytime I hear a story like yours. I do fear for her safety because his little sister was molested when she was 14 or 15 but nobody knows who by, and they never filed a report so I have no proof, but i got it straight from his mouth. I am going to continue to fight for her, if anybody else has anymore information I can use it is always aprreciated.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

  • You need a lawyer and now. You need to prove him unfit if that is really the case. Your lawer could at the very least ask the court to start with court supervised visits and work his way up from there. There is not a whole lot you can do if you can't prove him unfit. This is why we need to be very careful with whom we chose to make babies with. There is nothing to say that this moron won't get her every other weekend. Women just assume they will get custody, and that is not always the case. Has he been paying support?

    Answer by salexander at 11:25 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

  • He just recently started paying it but he is already thousands behind. I had an attorney and we went to court it started with sundays only and then we went to court again and he got every wednesday and overnights ever other weekend and I fired my attorney and got a new one because the old one did nothing.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

  • Child support has nothing to do with this.

    What county in Ohio are you in? We've been in a custody battle in Ohio for 3 years, and some of the courts here are INSANE.

    For instance, my SD has been physically and emotionally abused - and the courts do NOT care all they care is that the child has time with her "MOM" Period.

    PM me if you want to talk - sometimes I lose these question answer links and may not see if you respond.

    What I do know is Ohio is corrupt, you need to pick an attorney wisely, (like hire the judges daugther like hubbys ex - it gives you a lot of leverage in the court) They will increase overnights eventually - you need to be prepared to negotiate with him.

    Answer by Praying at 2:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.