How do I teach my 5yr old son how to write his Alphabets easily? without getting frustrated

He's kind of hard headed and likes to talk back very often? Doesn't like to follow rules. no motivation even if offered rewards.

kendrick1206

Asked by kendrick1206 at 2:03 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, he may not be developmentally ready yet. Does he know how to swing? Ride a bike without training wheels? Hop on one foot? Does he recognize the fact that if you turn a M upside down it is no longer and M, but is not a W? ...if he cant do those things it may not be his time to start writting yet.
    Before kids can write they have to learn how to cross what ECE pro's call, a midline. All children reach the crossing at different ages. Some children as young as 3 or 4, others not until 7 or 8. ...

With that in mind, ...what sort of things does he like? Have you taught him to write his name yet? Children are very egocentric.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I have to disagree with children not being able to write until they can cross midline. My 3 year old doesn't cross midline (he's in OT for fine motor skill delays) and he's been writing words since he was 2 1/2. My 5 year old can't ride a bike without training wheels or swing by himself, and he is writing. Both have OT for fine motor skill delays.

I agree there may be a developmental delay, however, depending on the reason for his frustration. Is he frustrated because you're "pushing" or maybe because he has such trouble doing it?

Has he been evaluated for fine motor skill delay? Does he use his thumb and first finger? Can he easily hold up one or two fingers...think a "V"...or do the fingers curl and he struggles? Does he easily hold a pencil correctly?

Coloring sheets might be a way to start. He can color the letter in and become more familiar with the shape. Or a fun workbook with stickers when he does it.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Sorry...ran out of room. (hate the stupid character restriction)

Anyway...

When he does write..can he copy a line? Horizontal? Vertical? Diagonal? Is the line dark and solid or light and shaky?

I don't mean to imply there IS a problem, just providing my experience in our OT journey. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:09 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Copy ing a horizontal or vertical line, cross, circle, T, H, V.If your son cannot make these strokes, that is were you would start. Firstly, how does he hold his writiing utensil? Does he hold it in his palm? upside down? or does he use a mature grasp by holding it between the pads of three finger tips? If he is not holding it in this mature grasp, try having him use small, broken pieces of chubbie crayons or chalk. If children hold small, broken pieces of chunky crayons, they usually hold it correctly with the tips of their finders, you cannot hold this size crayon in the palm of your hand. Also, try short pencils like the ones used at golf courses. Also, put his paper that he is drawing on up on a slanted surface instead of flat on a table top. You can tape the paper up on the side of a cabinet or the refrigerator. This position also helps him make correct strokes.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:52 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• If his grasp seems weak, have him play with playdoh or clay. The squeezing, pinching, pulling will strengthen the muscles in his fingers that he needs for writing. Boys don't always like to sit and write, so keep it fun. Don't just use paper and pencil. Use chalk, dry erase markers and boards, crayons, chalk, magna doodles, painting at an easel ( you hold the brush like you do a pencil). When he begins to write his name, do not start right off with tracing his name. This is the hardest level. Start will a blank piece of paper, regular size. Give him a model of his name written to copy. Keep it fun for him and he will be more motivated to try. Sitting and doing worksheets will most likely not be interesting for him. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:58 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Maybe it's just not fun enough for him. Try seeing if he's more willing to practice them outside on the driveway with sidewalk chalk. Have him make the letters with playdoh. My boys like using the lap-sized dry erase board more than paper and pencil. It's just something different...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Sorry--I didn't read what "Lovetoteach" wrote before posting...I realize I repeated most everything she said, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• TiccledBlue. ...you may disagree if you want. ...but somewhere some how that child HAS TO CROSS the midline. ...there are letters that you just cant write without having some practice in crossing that midline. such as B, d, ect ect.
    It has been studied and proven. ...it's not like i have the time to list all of the possible ways your child is crossing the midline. ...the ones i listed are simply the most common.

My DS is 3yo and also can write many letters, without riding a bike without training wheels. ...But he also knows how to hop on one foot.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:07 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• try teaching him the letters out of order, it will be easier for him
    Example:
    first letters to teach I H L T E F
    next letters W K A Z X V N M Y
    next letters R P D B
    next letters Q U O G S C J

this way, he is learning straight letters ( I L, etc..) then crossed letters ( W X Z, etc...)
    slightly curved ( R P, etc..) then the very curvey ones ( S O Q, etc...) trust me, it will be much easier on him :) good luck!!!
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 4:01 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Pour some sugar in a baking pan and let him trace it with his finger largely.

He is pretty young to be foreced to do that. But if his school needs it done, then just make it fun. Dry erase boards are neat, chalkboards, paintbrushes...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2011