When do I put my son in his crib for nap time, rather than rocking him to sleep?

My son will only go to sleep if he is rocked in his swing. He's 14 months, and pretty much grown out of it. Do I put him in his crib and let him cry himself to sleep?

IamJakobsMommy

Asked by IamJakobsMommy at 2:03 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you have a routine? read a few books, sing a few calming songs, lay him down in the crib and pat/rub his back for a while. ...and then walk away. ...you may choose to let him CIO the first few times, ...but if you keep up a routine and stay consistant he will learn. Good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:10 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I agree with the pp. I also warn my dd about 5 minutes before we are going to start the routine that it's time to go nite nite soon. Sometimes, I tell her exactly what to expect.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:12 AM on Mar. 20, 2009