New baby in the house. Toddler acting up

We have a newborn in the house and our two year old is so jealous. She is always asking for daddy to carry her. Whining about EVERYTHING!!! Not eating either. I've tried everything I can think of. I involve her as much as I can with the baby. She helps me change his diaper, feed him and she plays with him too. She helps me with dinner, we play while the baby sleeps and I read her a book every night before bed.
But she is still jealous. Wants to act like a baby as well. Is this normal? How can I help her adjust to the new addition?

lblanenship3

Asked by lblanenship3 at 4:51 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Actually, it's very normal. I think every kid probably goes through this when they become an older sibling. The thing is, your DD has been the center of your universe for two years, and now she's noticing that a LOT of the attention she used to get, is going to the new baby. She will come around in time, so long as you remember to set aside time for JUST her, and make her feel special in her new role as a big sis.
    nuclear_sugar

Answer by nuclear_sugar at 9:30 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Here are some suggestions to help her still feel special and get excited about being a big sis:

1) Have a special day for her, without the baby, or 2 special days (one for each parent) if you'd prefer. Explain that it's a special adventure between you and her, and the new baby can't come, because she's a big girl and the baby is too little. That day, eat her favorite foods, buy a special toy, and take time to talk to her about the reasons that SHE is special. Include reasons like "You're special because you're a helpful big sis."

2) Arrange a playdate for both kids with another family that has 2 or more children. If the other children are a little older than your DD, ask them to tell her what they like about having brothers/sisters. Let her see that brothers and sisters can play together and have fun.

3) Help her make a special "Big sis" craft, like a t-shirt or necklace. Then help her make one for her new sibling!
    nuclear_sugar

Answer by nuclear_sugar at 9:34 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Yes it's normal. I have 2 little girls. Brooklynd was not even 1 yet wher Ciara cam into our famiy. Brooklynd loves her little sister but to this day she still goes through being jealous. Brooklynd is about to be 3 and Ciara is about to be 2. Brooklynd is no where near as bad as she use to be. Last year Brooklynd kept acting like a baby and getting VERY mad when I was holding Ciara and not her. Now she understands that she has to share mama. Try to talk to your little girl and tell her that you still love her just as much but now she has to share her parents with the new baby. And ket her know that the new baby will be her best friend when she grows up and that they are both very special! Sooner or later your little girl will be more like a little mommy to your baby than a sister! It is the cuttest thing to watch your oldest take care of the baby! Brooklynd runs around calling Ciara her honey and her baby! It won't last long!
    FaerieMommy21

Answer by FaerieMommy21 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 20, 2009