Actully how do you get head lice other than sharing brushs and such(personal contact)?

Because my youngest daughter does'nt even go to school or pre-school for that matter yet and she has it she is only 4?REALLY I DON'T GET IT!!! She has only played outside can you get it that way or other ways?Sorry i'm just freaking out here...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Health

• You get it through personal contact. Lice dont jump. That means she got it from sharing a comb, pillow, etc with someone. She might not be in school but Im sure you take her places and she has playdates?She could have caught it from a placelike that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:42 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Was she trying hats on in a store?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• if she's in close contact with someone who has them she can get it. I caught scabies from an Army guy sharing the same seat as him in the hospital waiting area. Yes scabies from a 20 minute wait in a waiting room by sharing the same bench. So nice for the medics on base to share that's what everyone in the waiting room had.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Lice like ants and fleas etc just are! They don't jump but they are everywhere...they just exist like any other creature...they like some heads better than others...especially clean heads of really thick hair. You can get it from close contact like coats and hats, pillows and brushes...trying on hats or even clothing in stores, hotel rooms and even riding in someones car. I have a DD who has had it twice. She is my only child out of 5 to ever get it and the only one with really long thick hair...it is a nightmare! I do NOT believe that over the counter or homeopathic shampoos work, nor does coating the head in oil or mayo. Our doc prescribes Ovide..it smells to high heaven like kerosene but I don't have to go back over her hair ever! Just put it on, we cover her head in a bandanna overnight and then shampoo like 6 times to get the stink out...good luck.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:37 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• any contact with plush items that don't get washed or not washed in hot water (couches, stuffed animals, jackets)
    amommy2a2yrold

Answer by amommy2a2yrold at 9:53 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Have people been in your house recently? Or have you been to someones house? They will be in the couches, carpets, blankets, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• have you tried clothes on her at a local store? They can get on clothes, couch at someone's home, pillow if she napped somewhere other than home, coats if you went somewhere and laid her coat down or next to another child's coat. My dd just bought a lice detector. They had a bad bout with lice then found out the dad didn't treat the 2 yr old and they got reinfested again. Remember to use the shampoo to wash your bedding, puts pillows in secured plastic bag for at least 3 days, spray the couch and bed and floors and make sure everyone in the house is treated even though it looks like they don't have anything.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:08 AM on Mar. 20, 2009