how would you stop constant morning bickering between my 13yr old and 8 yr old girls?

thid bickering is over everything from getting out of bed and getting dressed to eating and who sets in what seat in the car, it's driving me nuts!

SheilaJean

Asked by SheilaJean at 7:14 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• You could force things by making rules and enforcing them- no TV on the days they bicker in the morning, or some reward only on the days they don't bicker in the morning- even making a list that you post or a calendar that you mark off the days they don't bicker, add them up at the end of the week and go to a movie, or rent a movie on the weekend as a reward, or base their allowance on non-bickering days. I'd recommend though that you let them work it out. Beyond making one comment about how much happier they'd be if the mean words were nice words, just let it go. I'd say it is their problem, don't make it yours, but it is yours because you have to listen to it and it makes you tense. Breathe out slowly when they start up. Speaking as a sibling who bickered with my sister, sometimes it is recreational, let them have their fun if you can possibly stand it.

Answer by Bmat at 7:36 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I had this with my kids, A t the time they were 10 and 9 my son (10) and my DD(9) would get to the point of hitting each other so I threatened to get them diapers and pacifiers if they wouldn't stop. They wouldn't stop lol It was funny in retrospect but let me tell you, they were humiliated when I made them dress that way for a week. It was summertime so it was go out that way or smarten up. they got the hint rather quickly.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 7:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• When my kids start up i let them know how sad it makes me to hear them argue. I have banned all emotive words like stupid, shut up and stop it. 3 strikes and it is a time out. I also would recommend reinforcing the good behaviour - making a big fuss when they are being nice to eachother and telling them how proud it makes me.
    greenAllie

Answer by greenAllie at 7:46 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• duct tape
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Pushups work for my 10 yr old, timeouts for my 5 year old. Then if pushups and timeouts don't work, I start making them do chores, one right after another non stop except for meals and bedtime. Usually by the second day they are getting along much better.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Oh, forgot to mention that when my 10yr talks rude to her sister, I start talking rude to her. She doesn't like it and soon apologizes and watching her tone.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2009