Any advice for flying with a 15 week old?

I am not looking forward to the flight, but we found really cheap tickets! $200! That is impossible to find anymore. My sister lives in Oregon and she is so excited about being an aunt and we are shut down for a whole week at work so we want to visit her. Hopefully all will go well, but any way to make sure my daughter isn't the baby screaming on the flight that everyone complains about?

DividingAnt

Asked by DividingAnt at 8:15 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not really. It happens. You'll survive. Lol... I've been that parent with the screaming baby more than once, despite doing everything "right". And it was never as bad as I anticipated. People are generally very nice and understanding about it, especially if you're apologetic and clearly trying your best.

It is helpful to have something for baby to suck on during ascent and descent to break the pressure in her ears. If you're nursing, nurse her for take off and landing. Or give her a pacifier. If you're not nursing, bring extra formula in case you get delayed. Same goes for diapers, wipes, etc... Also bring an extra outifit for baby in your carry on, as well as an extra shirt for you. A new and exciting toy may help divert baby's attention if she starts getting fussy. Also, I find it most convenient to gate check my car seat and stroller, so I don't have to go all the way to baggage claim to get them when I land.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:23 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I agree with the above statement, especially about nursing for takeoff and landing. My son slept through every flight until age 2 just from nursing & the engine's humming. Make sure the airline knows you're traveling with an infant so you can get put into a seat with double oxygen masks. You should also bring their birth certificate in case they ask for it (always have had it, never been asked to provide it)
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 20, 2009