What exactly is Jaundice?

I took my son for his first Doctor's appointment and the doctor said he may have a slight case of Jaundice but not to worry about it. I just want to make sure i shouldn't be worried. I've heard of it but don't know to much about it.

Melissa6280

Asked by Melissa6280 at 8:32 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would maybe call him back and ask what causes it and what you can do to make it better/make sure it doesnt get worse. i wish i could remember what my doctor said about jaundice when my LO was that little.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:34 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• google it for the best most accruate information. It has to do with baby's body not being able to get ride of all the waiste ( I want to say blood cells) and the liver can't work it's best so baby turns yellow. Offer more fluids and sunlight to help flush the system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Isn't this something to ask the Dr when he told u?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• http://www.medicinenet.com/jaundice/article.htm

It is when the liver isn't able to take out enough bilirubin out of the blood and so the skin and the whites of the eyes can turn yellowish. Bilirubin happens when red blood cells are destroyed, which is normal in newborns since they switch over from the kind of red blood cells that they have in the womb to what they need outside of the womb. The article says that the bilirubin levels in most newborns rise during the first days after birth. Read the article. My son was jaundiced and needed the lights while he was in the hospital, but it wasn't a worry or a problem.

Answer by Bmat at 8:42 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Lots of newborns get mild jaundice shortly after birth. Jaundice is simply elevated bilirubin (a liver chemical). If it is severe, it can cause serious problems. But a mild case will pass on it's own and is absolutely nothing to worry about. It can take a bit longer to pass in breastfed babies. If it is not resolving on it's own, there are things that can be done to give baby some help, like light treatments. But really, slight jaundice is very common and not a big cause for concern. There is tons of info on it on the web, so a google search should give you lots of info.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:44 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Lots of liquid to flush out the system will help. Breastmilk is best because it's easier to digest. You can also take the baby outside or near a sunny window for a few minutes a few times a day to help break the bilirubin down.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• When mine were babies, the doc told me to get the baby in the sunlight for 20 mins a day and that would take care of it.
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 8:46 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Thank you! I wasn't worried because the doctor didn't seem the be at all concerned. But when I got home I started thinking about it more and more. Thanks again!!!
    Melissa6280

Answer by Melissa6280 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I had to take my baby in for a whole week to the hosp. for blood test to check on the jaundice they recommend sunlight to help, lots of fluids and after a week the dr. orderd a billy belt rather large for a new baby about 5in. wide that wrapped around the middel with a large cord. after two days of not removing it she was fine but had to slpeep near an sunlight window. with all you should have no woorys it mostly is fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• It is a back up if bile into the blood stream it makes the whites of the eyes yellow and gives the skin a yellow tinge. It's fairly normal when the baby is first born but clears up in about 3 days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2009