Another potty training question..this one very specific.

My 2 1/2 year old has been potty trained since xmas; no diapers during the day, no accidents and no problems with outings and the public bathrooms, but he has issue with pooping on the potty. I let it go because he was holding it and that was not good. So instead he poops in his overnight diaper. So recently he has been able to poop on the potty out of shear necessity and with a lot of resistance, but he is proud that he did. my question..should I remove the overnight diaper and change a few sheets for a while to push this process along or is it still too soon?

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 8:40 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I found M&M's were a good reward for potty training! My DD and I just went through it....first we started with a bunch and as it got to be more routine I would lessen the amount I gave her....but yeah it involved a crazy dance, singing...basically anything involving me being a fool...but it worked! as for the diaper...I would say remove it! he isn't going to learn if you keep the diaper on him. a few accidents...which you make no big deal out of...2 accidents in panties did the trick for my DD...she hated the feeling and it embarrassed her even though we didn't make a big deal about it...
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I think it is too early to remove the nighttime protection, you might be changing sheets for awhile, encourage pooing in the potty. You can dance, sing, give sticker, special treats etc... Sometimes this part of potty training takes alittle bit more time becaue they have to sit awhile LOL until they figure it out.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:46 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Make sure you reward him like crazy when he goes poop. Tell him in the morning we will go for an ice cream if you don't poop the bed. Or some sort of reward that works for you both. I would get rid of the diaper right away. Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Mar. 20, 2009