Another question about flying with a baby

What do I need to bring with for her to fly? I know that I need photo id for me, but for her do I have to bring just the birth cirtificate? Also, anyone know about bringing breastmilk on the plane? What are the limits? ...I hate flying, so many rules!

DividingAnt

Asked by DividingAnt at 9:11 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always bring my son's birth certificate, but I've never been asked for it. Did you buy her a seat? If not, did you somehow indicate to the airline that you'll be bringing a lap infant? They need to know that in advance, because they will issue her a ticket even if she is going to be on your lap. As for breastmilk, I've brought multiple bottles (or multiple containers of liquid baby food) and never had a problem. I don't think there is really a limit on baby food/milk/formula. They'll just pass some test strips over it to make sure it's really what you say it is, and then they'll send you on your way.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:16 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• You can either bring a birth certificate or an immunization record. I am not sure about the breastmilk I would call your specific airline just to double check. Don't forget you can always just nurse her straight from the breast that way you don't have to worry about the breastmilk & keeping it at the right temp and whatnot.  Just remember to feed baby on the way up and on the way down to help prevent ear discomfort.  Good Luck and don't worry it will be easier then you think.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• You won't need any form of ID for your baby. They'll just get her name and write it on your ticket (traveling with lap infant). Also, they allow you to bring breastmilk, formula, and baby food on the plane for your baby. If anything looks questionable they are able to test it by holding something over it (they don't have to put anything in the milk or food in order to test it). Just let them know what you have when you go through security. Check your airline's website for guidelines on carseats, strollers, etc. Some airlines charge you the baggage fee to check your carseat and some wave the fee for you. Depending on the age of your baby you'll just want to make sure she has plenty to keep her entertained or a sling for her to sleep in. My baby has been on 3 trips where we flew and I couldn't have survived without the sling... it would put her right to sleep and was great for bfing in private.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 11:16 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I have flowin twice i brought the birth cert and social security card but i didn't need either im not to sure about the brest milk. Just make sure you feed at take off and landing and your baby should be fine.
    bleblanc2

Answer by bleblanc2 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• If you BF - why are your bringing pumped milk? I would just BF on the plane- bfing will also help babys ears pop. If your baby is used to pumped milk from a bottle- bring as much as you need plus one extra feeding incase of delays. You can ask if they offer a bassinet seat for the baby- on international flights therea reusually 3 per flight- not sure about local flights. I always bring a copy of my kids birth cert.s when traveling- along with a recent photo in my handbag- Traveling internationally all baby's even newborns need their own passport! BTW- travel tip bring an extra shirt for yourself in your carry on in case baby spits up : )
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 4:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I flew to St. Thomas from Minnesota with my 4 month old. He was a good baby. It is kind of a good deal to fly with a baby if you do not purcase a saet for a baby because you can bring an extra cary on bag (the diaper bag) The airline will check a car seat and a stoller at the gate for free too. Sometimes you can change your seat to bulk head seating for more leg room at the gate too. As for a crying baby. Nurse you bottle feed your baby at take off and when you start to decend. If you start to nurse while you land you were already too late because your baby's ears should hopefully have popped by then. I brestfed him on the plane and he was fine. The only issue I had with him is that he pooped though his outfit. The plane in noisy so not many people would be able to hear a little fuss from you baby.
    nadris29

Answer by nadris29 at 9:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2009