Potty Training??

My daughter will be 4 at the end of August. She is completely potty trained during the day but at night we still have her in a pull up. I am just not sure at what age kids should be expected to stay dry all night. I know at the sitters there are 5 year olds still wearing pull ups at naptime. When she wakes up her pull up is still really wet but I know from experience that if she is wearing a pull up she will not always use the potty. Should I try and put her in regular panties at night or is she still too young??? Sorry if this is a dumb question but she is my oldest and I had never been around child before I had my own so I am not sure when to expect this.

maddiemygirl

Asked by maddiemygirl at 9:18 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• does she tale a nap and if so does she stay dry .you can also look at what she is drinking before bed .at this age she should be almost all the way trained
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 10:58 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I'd try putting her in panties at night. Simply explain that you are wondering if her insides are big enough to go all night now. Make it fairly clear that this has nothing to do with what a big girl she is, nothing to do with what she is capable of. Remember, she has no control over what her body does while she is asleep.

Double make the bed - water proof pad, bottom sheet, another pad, another sheet. Then if she wakes up wet in the night, you can simply strip the wet layer while she changes her clothes and tuck her back in.

Give it a try for 4 to 7 days. If she stops wetting as the week goes on, keep going. If she is dry 4 out of 7 of the days, even if they are scattered all over the week, consider keeping it going. If she wets most or every night, keep her in pullups and simply tell her that her body isn't ready yet.

Many kids wet until 5 or 6, some longer. And it runs in families so look at that too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• For the past couple of weeks we have been doing 45 minute rest time versus naps given she will be starting Junior Kindergarten in August. Before that she did take naps at the sitters but refused to at home and would end up playing in her room. When I would go and get her from her room she would be sometimes be wet but like a said if she is wearing panties she will use the potty but if she is wearing a pull up she does wet in them. My sitter has never really told me how she does. I am not sure at this point if it is because she is wearing a pull up or if she is not capable of waking up if she has too go. There is sometimes that I feel my sitter nags and yells at the children more than using positive reinforcements and prefers to take the easy road then deal with messes. It took me until my DD was 3 before she was potty trained and I think it was because of how it was being handled at the sitters. 

maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 12:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Every child potty trains at different times. No time is really right or wrong for her to be completely potty trained. Try to not give her liquids an hour before bed time. That way she can use the bathroom before sleeping and get it all out, or at least try to. I would also try the panties at night, Its not going to be a big deal if she pees on her bed, you're going to change it eventually anyways, right? If you feel she might be ready to try then try it. There's nothing wrong with that. And I would try to find a new sitter. Especially if you have a problem with the way shes nagging and yelling. But anyways, kaycee14 had a great idea with double making the bed!!! I would also try something like that!!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 5:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• my little girl was 1 1/2 wen i started potty training her . fully trained by 2. she never wore pull ups to bed. if u give her cups at nite just go ahead and cut that off compeletly if my 2 year old can do it beleive me ur lil one can to.!!! i tell her big girls go to the bathroom on the toliet and big girls dont take cups to bed. she does amazing with it. i dont talk to her like a baby, and some kids need a lil bass in the voice to get it
    Anonymous