when should we start thinking about potty training?

my son is 16 months old. When did some of you moms start your boys on potty training??

RedSox23

Asked by RedSox23 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is almost 23 months, and we haven't started. He's not ready yet. Boys generally start later than girls.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:47 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My son is 19 months and we've introduced the potty, but he's not interested in it. I talk about it to him when I change his diaper and try to get him to at least sit on it for a few seconds before his bath. Just so he knows it's there. I don't expect him to show any real interest until after his second birthday!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:49 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• yeah thats what i have always been told. and i know right now he is not ready.

but myfiance and i have been talking about it and were just curious to when we should start..
    RedSox23

Answer by RedSox23 at 9:49 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My son will be 20 months next week and, though we by no means push it, we have started and he has successfully used it once. It sits next to the toilet in our guest bath so, we try to use that toilet when he's around and he usually just opens the lid on his and sits there, fully clothed. Every so often, I pull his pants and diaper off and let him sit there and we cheered like crazy the time he used it but, I'm not too worried about pushing him yet.
    JamieW

Answer by JamieW at 10:59 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I have always heard 2-3 years old with boys. Girls tend to be earlier. This is only what I have heard though, my son is only 10 months so I'm still in Diaper Land!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Your son will let you know when he is ready...and boys tend to be later than girls. My son began peeing by the toilet or in front of the bathroom door at about 12 months and I was told to get him a potty...he was ready I was not... lol. Just watch him and see what happens it will happen
    Anonymous

• My dd just turned 19 months yesterday and we are getting ready to start her. SHe will come and tell you when she has went in her diaper. She will say pee or poopy and point to her front or back. She will sit on the big potty before and after bath and stay there forever. She also loves to try to help wipe her. As long as you are seeing signs that they are ready then I say go ahead and start. But do not force it. If you do then they may refuse it for a good long while. Take it slow and easy for the first little bit until they get the hang of it.
    armywife1111

Answer by armywife1111 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2009