Catholic or Public School?

I had a Parent Teacher Conference for my son...in Kindergarten and he is doing exceptionally well in academics...above grade level. The only area of concern are his social skills...towards other children. Do you think a Catholic school environment would be better or worse for discipline?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter is in Catholic School and we aren't Catholic. It is an excellent school. It really depends on the school and the teacher. I have found that the class sizes are much smaller which allows the teacher to watch the interactions with other children, plus they enforce always being kind and including one another. He may just need time to mature and you will have to work with the teacher in either setting to get the behavior under control.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Students in Catholic Schools are encouraged to recognize the presence of God. Students are expected to accept responsibility for their actions, to respect others and to make good decisions in the context of their faith experience.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Uhhh, why don't you just tackle that at home? Go to play groups and go to parks. Get him near other kids and when he does something he shouldn't, teach him the right way to act. I don't think you should send your child to Catholic school just because he doesn't interact with others well. You are the parent, that's your job to taech him that.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• ReneeK3....you dont' know what I do at home in order to help him with this. LOL...your answer was very judgemental to assume that we don't do all of the above. If you couldn't answer my direct question then you shouldn't have added your opinion at all. Thanks :-)

And from your tone, I guess your kids are perfect??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Totally depends on the Catholic School. I went to them my entire life and saw some pretty horrendous behavior and the teachers never did a thing about it. I was bullied and teased mercilessly by my classmates (sometimes under the guise of "god" because I wasn't baptized so I wasn't a Catholic and therefore going to hell).

My kids go to a Catholic school now (we are not Catholic or even Christian). What I like is the class sizes are small. There are about 22 kids in my younger kids' classes (kindergarten and 1st grade). My oldest in 3rd grade has the biggest class in the school with 30 kids. Not sure what they are learning because my 8yo has no problem stealing and lying (we're working on her issues).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:26 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• OP... a private school is or can be more strict but not always for interactivity with other children. If your child is having social issues then it may not be part of his schooling but maybe he is shy to meet others... playdates, parks to meet others are good ways to do that...
     Also I don't think ReneweK3 was harsh answering your question, you are going to get similar answers as hers with this question... I think you were being a bit harsh on her just for answering your question..(JMO)

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:36 AM on Mar. 20, 2009