To old for a crib?

My daughter is going to be three next month and is still in her crib. She LOVES her crib and has never even mentioned not wanting to be in it anymore. My kids are upstairs and we are down stairs so I feel more comfortable with her in her crib. Don't know what to do...

Melissa6280

Asked by Melissa6280 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd let her stay in it until she wants out. My son is almost 20 months and shows no signs of wanting out. My older boys were all out of a crib by this time. She probably won't sleep well if you take her out of it before she is ready.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:54 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• my dd will be 2 in a week and she loves her criib never tries to get out. I say keep her in there it wont hurt her.
    greeneyemommy

Answer by greeneyemommy at 11:02 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My son will be out of the crib when his sibling is born.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• the only worry i would have in leaving her in, is that she might find her way out, depending on her height etc. there are specifications on what height you should 'consider' taking your child out, but hey, do what you feel is best, i understand the stair issue as well. my neice got a new toddler bed for her 3rd bday and she thought she was really big when she got a big girl bed, if you are considering the switch, that may be a time when a milestone of sleeping in a big kid bed is easy, just tell her that 3 year olds are big girls and big girls should sleep in a big girl bed
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 11:25 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• We're the same way. She's upstairs, we're down, and she LOVES her crib (she's 2.5). She got a bed for Christmas and to ease her transition, I let her chose which one to sleep in. She picks the crib, every single time. I've talked about how we will give the crib to a new baby who needs it one day and she starts howling for me to not take her crib. I have a storybook too (Sophie's Big Bed) but so far she just agrees with the first page... "Sophie loves her crib".

At this point, I know what the weight limit is on our crib (50 pounds) and I know she will be out of the crib before she reaches it. At some point, she will make the move on her... she won't be going off to college wanting a crib in her dorm room. LOL
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Get rid of it! It's tough but it will eventually work out. Get a toddler bed with removeable rails so it has somewhat of the feel of a crib. That's what worked for me with my 2 yr old. She threw fits for a week then decided one day it was ok. Have to be willing to put up with the crying and screaming.
    mumummum

Answer by mumummum at 3:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2009