nightmares

Does anyone have trouble with there babies having nightmares. My son will be 4 months old tomorrow and for the last few weeks, usually once a day or so, he wakes up from his nap frantically screaming. While he is sleeping he whimpers and i can tell hes dreaming, but I don't know if it would be better to wake him up during it, or if that would startle him more. It's just so upsetting for me because it seems like I can do nothing to calm him down, he screams for 20 minutes straight after waking up. What could he be dreaming about and is there anything you think I could do. Thanks

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 10:30 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont have that much experience with them, but i have heard that your not suppose to wake them
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Well, I would often find my son whimpering in his sleep but he also had such severe colic that when he woke up screaming for long periods, it was "normal" to me and I only assumed it was part of his personality/colic - but I used to wonder if he was having nightmares. I have always heard not to wake them- you could start rubbing your baby's back or stroking his hand or gentle touches if you can normally do that while he's sleeping to calm him a little.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2009