just for fun???

sometimes when i am talking to my friend about something bad that has happened she will be grinning at me almost laughing.its strange.i have heard the expression i feel like saying i am going to slap that expression off you face .i feel like that but i dont say it.i know it means something when someone doesn that but i am just not sure can anyone help.

snowmom974

Asked by snowmom974 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have a friend who has drama all the time. She creates it herself and a lot of the time when she tells me her stories, I laugh. Yes, I do it out loud. Maybe you're a drama queen? Idk... don't know you, but that's the only reason I can think of why an otherwise normal, compassionate person would find amusement in your bad luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• When my husband tells of something bad that has happened, he often does it with an ironic smile on his face, kind of "This happened, isn't life wonderful, NOT." Like that, trying to make light of what is actually a frustrating or unfortunate event. So the listener may feel that it is a kind of amusing story and just joins in with the rueful or good-story mood. This may well be why your friend is smiling, perhaps you are coming across as being rueful or amused at fate, and she is just going along with what she perceives. Sometimes when someone blurts out a sad event, our reaction is to laugh, which we know at the time is very inappropriate, but it is nerves instead of amusement. If you have on a sad face, and if you behave as if you are upset, then she should not be smiling. If she is, and if you value her friendship. ask why.

Answer by Bmat at 11:29 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I agree whole heartedly with Bmat. I wanted to add, that sometimes I have no idea what my face is doing, and I am sure that at times it betrays me. Don't be afraid to ask "Why are you smiling?" Maybe she is thinking "I know exactly what you're talking about, this same thing happened to me" or something of that sort. I am sure she isn't actually getting any joy out of your sorrows. If she is, then perhaps you should find a new confidant.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:44 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• For some people, they smile not because it's funny but because they don't know what else to do. Or maybe one of those "how ironic" smiles.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I will admit that I am one of those women with a sick sick sense of humor. If someone falls especially...I don't know why but I laugh my butt off. My DH came home from work one summer evening and his upper lip was very swollen and he was slurring his speach because of it as he is telling me the story of how he was attacked by a bee and was stung on the lip and fell off the customers deck into the bushes and scrapped his knee in the process. I am sure it was not funny at the time...but the funny speach and the puffy lip and the way he was so mad telling me all of this made me want to pee in my pants. Sorry I am guilty of this kind of thing!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:31 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• speech sorry
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2009