Do dogs get a rabies shot every year or every 2 years??

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Pets

• It depends on which vac your vet gives, my dog got one a year until a certian age then I think her last one lasted a few years.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:20 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I asked my vet and he said it is the SAME vaccine except it is labeled differently to accommodate the local ordinances. Because we live in the county he put her on a three year program. It is healthier to have it only every three years.....
    We normally give them their shots, but my dh was really busy and we didn't get the vaccine (from another state) so I took her in and asked. He was very honest about it and I appreciate it:-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• In my area they need to get their 1st shot one year, their second shot the next year and then every 2 yrs after that.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 12:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• They told me my dog was good for 3 years when she got hers
    mrslloyd

Answer by mrslloyd at 12:45 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Mine get it every 3 years.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:02 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Our's get 3 yrs.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 1:08 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• All dogs/cats regardless of where you live in the USA are to be vaccinated as early as 4 months, no later than 6 months. This vaccine is good for one year and then it must be boostered. At this point the vaccine will be good for three years. From a Veterinary and personal point of view, I do not vaccinate for anything beyond puppy vaccines until I titer my animals. Most of my animal's titers remain high enough well into adulthood. I have dogs that have not required a rabies, DHLPP vaccine for over 7 years. My dogs are exempt from having to be over vaccinated by state law provided the titers are done annually.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 9:42 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• they have one that lasts 1 year or 3 years...just ask your vet which one they gave?
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2009