alcoholism

do you think people are alcoholics because they arent happy with their lot in life? i never used to think about it but my dad is an alcoholic (hes in recovery) and im starting to realize that i dont think he was ever REALLY happy. i know im his little girl and he loves me but i dont feel the love between him an my mom... i even asked her once if she loved my dad and she said she loves him but doesnt think he loves her...

but he was an alcoholic before so i dont know. anyone have thoughts? i think my husband and i are boarderline alcoholics and we arent happy so im just wondering

aliciatron

Asked by aliciatron at 11:21 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Health

• I do think happiness is directly related to any addiction. An addictions starts as something to help you escape reality. I think that if you are content and happy then it would be that much easier to be clean and sober.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• i think so too. i decided im not going to drink anymore starting today because i get horrible panic attacks in the morning plus im taking prozac
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:25 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• It is an addiction, and any addiction is abused to feel something or hide their feelings. If your dad is an alcoholic, you have a much much higher chance of becoming one yourself. Addictions is hard, and anything can be an addicting substance, the number one addiction in the US today is food. Off topic some I know but the point is you have recognized you may have a problem, most don't until it is too late, get your self some help, 12 step programs work great, if you and hubby what to be together I would suggest counseling. Both of you need to be willing to quit drinking, it is not often that a marriage stays together after one gets sober and the other doesn't.... I wish ya'll both the best
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:32 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• thank you :]

if i cant quit cold turkey i will go to a program
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:35 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• If you think you may be a "borderline" alcoholic, then chances are, you ARE. Keep in mind that alcoholism does run in families, so if your dad is one, you are very likely to become one.

If it is hard for you to stop drinking completely, then you have a problem. Go to AA!!

Alcohol is a drug and it is a depressant. If you are drinking a lot you should expect to be depressed, that is how it chemically changes your brain.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2009