I am a bit disappointed here. Is it suppose to help him quit? or is it way worse?

My DH is a terrible smoker, but with times getting tougher I told him that financially we are having a hard time covering the costs of his addiction. I told him that I will not nag him quit, but he seriously needs to think about cutting back. He will smoke a carton in about a week, and it just costs too much! I told him a long time ago that I find chewing tobacco straight out gross. To me its still just as dangerous if not worse. Honestly- whats healthy about something that cuts tiny slits all throughout your gums to get nicotine in your body? I will not kiss a man with chew in his mouth- no way. So today when he gets home from work he has a pack of cigarettes and a container of cheap chewing tobacco. I am so disappointed that he knows how I feel about it, and he bought it anyway. It pisses me off because I don't know whether to jump all over him, or if he is doing it to help him quit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• My boyfriend is a smoker and he told me that the only way he can stop is if he really wants too. No one can make you quit unless you WANT to quit. My boyfriend drinks coffee and smokes ciggs and spends alot on taking care of his teeth through the dentist so it has been kinda hectic but sometimes is great when he can't talk from being swollen in the mouth. lol. but just be sure that he actually wants to quit..or it'll probably not work with you trying to force him too with the financial situation and all.
    CandieGirl09

Answer by CandieGirl09 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• call your dr or pharmacist and ask if it's worse or will help him transition. I don't think it will help him but I'm not a medical person.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:27 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Hubby has an uncle that used chewing tobacco to help him quit. He doesn't smoke, but continues with the chewing. Also a coworker used the nicotine gum to quit smoking and has now been addicted to the gum for years. The gum is more expensive than the cigs. I don't know what to tell you, it is a very hard habit to quit!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Although the gum is more expensive, in the long run they are cheaper. Buying a month or two of the gum or patch is still cheaper than buying a years worth of cigs. The chew is more dangerous than actually smoking, my grandfather tried to switch from smoking to dipping, he got throat cancer and died. Both are disgusting in my opinion, and I am going through the same battle with my husband right now. The best thing for you to do is be supportive and remember that he will act like a total ass while quiting. We are right in the middle of him trying to quit and he has been really cranky, but we both know that in the long run it will be cheaper and healthier for our children and him.
    1and1make3

Answer by 1and1make3 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Chew won't help and it is SUPPER gross. I am sick just thinking about it. I quit over a year ago and I did it cold turkey. The only smoking success stories that I know are cold turkey stories.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:52 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• yeah my DF quit cold turkey.
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• He wont quit until he's really ready to quit, where HE wants to and not YOU wanting him to. This habit is such a hard habit to kick; It's sad because it took me finding out that I was pregnant for me to quit and I didnt quit cold turkey it took about a month of taking a few drags here and there off of others cigarettes. My SO also smokes but I dont let him smoke around me or when hes home at all so he just gets to smoke at work, but his cigarettes do last longer cause of that so less money
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 20, 2009