Time out

How do you do timeout? I know it is a stupid question, but my 19 month old DD seems to think it is a game. I use a stern voice and tell her she is going to go to time out cause she keeps standing on the coffee table when I ask her not to. When I put her in the corner she just laughs at me. What am I doing wrong? I keep her there for a minute and a half, but she just laughs the whole time. Ugh!!

madelines_mom

Asked by madelines_mom at 11:36 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sorry, I know it can be frusterating when you are trying to punish and it isnt taken as a punishment, it just makes me madder. My ds does that, and he is 5. Just try to make it not a game, take her out of the room she was in, like your room or some other not so fun place for her and make her do timeouts there, as long as she is sitting still and not running off there isn't a whole lot you caqn do for her perception. Frusterating as it is.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:38 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I would tap her hand.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:42 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• At this age, it's h ard b/c their attetion span is so short. Either hold her (my dd hates to have her hands held down so in time out hold them on her lap so she can't play with teh toys around her, the wall, etc) in place or put her in the high chair or a special booster you can strap her in to keep her in place. I swat my dd on the bottom then put her in time out. the idea is right now the physical contact is what gets her attention then she realizes the sitting is a punish ment too. As she gets older I can stop the swat and just put her in time out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• You aren't doing anything wrong. This is common. Have you ever laughed when in a nervous or stressful situation? This may be the same thing. She may also think it's a game. Just keep at it and she will soon learn it's no fun.
    The only thing I do different is if mine throws a fit as soon as she gets put in time-out then time-out starts once the fit is over.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I use the playpen for my 17 month old's time out area. It's in my bed room and he used to laugh when I placed him in there but now he seems to not care so much for it. I tell him he's going to time out and place him in there then walk out and half way shut the door so he can't see commotion going on (which would entertain him), then I set his timer and come back to get him when it goes off. He hasn't been in time out that much but if I tell him he's going to be in time out if he..."climbs the shelves again" he quickly finds something else to do.
    Anonymous

• keep her there till she stops laughing and starts to get that its not fun. We have a chair in the laundry room... its more quiet and priviat and has nothing fun to do in it. When the kids do somehting that merits a time out, they go in there and sit... but their time doesn't start till they are quiet. my 20 old thought it was a game for a bit, but after 15 min of sitting in there without attention.. she relized it wasn't much fun at all.

Personally, if i told my child "no" and continue to disobey. Its not a time out, its a spanking. So timesouts are usually for minor offensives and temper tantrums in our house... and we rarely have to spank because they understand that no means no.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2009