4 month old BEYOND fussy!!!

It just started about 2 days ago. She wakes up in the middle of the night screaming / crying. I get up give her a pacifier but she doesn't want it she just keeps on crying. I usually try to rock her back to sleep and it works and I hold her for a good 30mins when I know she's completely asleep. But as soon as I lay her in her crib she starts crying again. So what we have been doing is just laying her in bed with us since she goes right to sleep as soon as she's next to us. But I'm not comfortable with her sleeping with us, I'm afraid I'll suffocate her. Could it be that she's teething? She eats her hand and has been drooling since about 2 months, but I don't feel any teeth just yet. Her appetite has also gone down. She only eats like 3 - 4oz instead of her regular 6 - 7oz, she isn't eating often either more like 5 -6 hours.

xocyncyn

Asked by xocyncyn at 11:38 AM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's because you're spoiling her. If you woudln't walk around with her on your hip all the time then you wouldn't have this problem. You never listen to me!!! Just joking

She may be teething. When babies teeth the tooth starts coming up then stops, starts comin up, then stops, until it breaks through the skin. Or, maybe she's just getting sick. Jayce is extra clingy when he's getting sick. It could also be a growth spurt. There's so many things that it can be but I'll assure you that it's temporary.

a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 4:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Sounds like teething. Take a look back at when you got your first teeth and see if it was around 4 months. My dd does a lot of night waking when teeth are about to break the gumline. If he is teething then try some tylenol before bed and lots of hugs. Hang in there!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Sounds like teething to me. My son started teething around 3 months. He would also have a lower appetite. Check to see if her gums are hard. If they are then yes she is teething, sometimes it just takes awhile for them to break through. Invest in some baby orajel and tylenol, they are a life saver in my house.
    1and1make3

Answer by 1and1make3 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• she could be begining to teeth. try putting some oral gel on her gums, is she stops whining, then she is teething. thats how my daughter was.
    is she to warm? when my daughter was that age, and she cried like that and she didnt want to eat, or she didnt want to sleep, id try oral gel, or id give her tylenol. thats how i knew she wassnt feeling good when shed calm down after tylenol. OR maybe playing some music to soothe her to sleep may help. if shes crying like shes in pain, then she probably is. no one knows her cries like you do. good luck hun
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 11:43 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• might be teething. you mentioned a pacifier but do you try to feed her also? She might be hungry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• my son started that and didn't get teeth for 3 months after it first started but the Ped said the teeth are positioning themselves to get ready for teething and some babies are very affected by that also and my son is SO affected by teething. he only have 8 teeth now at 16-1/2 months and for every one of them he's screamed bloody murder the day they came out.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I was terrified to let my munchkin sleep with me too... so afraid i would roll over or something. Three things you can try : For teething, warm wash cloth to bite on, small amount of infants tylenol, and rub the gums with baby orajel. if she sleeps after that you know its teething and good luck honey . Second, try "Gripe Water" If she is having an upset stomach it can cause that, myne did throughout the first couple months, she had colic, but even on the right formula she would get gas and tummy aches, I tried things like infant gas x and nothing works like either Gripe water, or a half a cup of warm water and a couple pinches of sugar mixed in a bottle, Either of those will soothe babies tummy. if neither of those work, try getting a mattress cover for baby and laying her on it, It makes it softer, she maybe having a growth spurt and becoming uncomfortable in her bed. Good luck Hope something Helps.
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Take to doc. it could be an ear infection. When in bed with you, is baby propped up on you or a pillow? if it's the laying down flat that's bothersome, then defiantely an ear infection.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried feeding her when she wakes up in the middle of the night- she may be going through a growth spurt. My DS took 1 bottle at 4am everynight until about 8 months & my DD breastfeed almost the whole night long! Co-sleeping can be done safely- there is nothing wrong with doing so if you do it right- see the Dr Sears website it has some great tips for doing it safely. Teething could also be the issue but I personally would try food first : ) Try calling your ped too- they may give you some insight or want to check her out.
    good luck
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 4:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2009