Can babies have grape juice?

I gave my 8 month old a little bit of 100% white grape juice mixed with water. It was the first time he ever really had juice. Then I heard you're supposed to start with apple. Whats wrong with grape?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah you can. Nothing wrong with grape.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• there is nothing wrong with grape. limit any kind of juice to no more than 4-6oz/day because it has a lot of sugar. they dont need juice at all but a little is fine.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• White grape juice is fine. As long as it is 100%, I wouldn't even add water. Mine loves it, she's 9 months old. Gerber makes it too.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 12:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• mamaada: the gerber juice is already diluted. i would definitely dilute any other brands though, thats a lot of sugar. My son is two and I still dilute his.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• yes, and diluted :) My daughter still get's watered down juice. sugar content in regular juice is a lot so it should be 1/2 juice 1/2 water :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• yeah, no problems there.. but stay away from red grape juice....lol... its not a plesent diaper change.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Thats another one of those bits of advice, where god knows where people get it. It doesn't matter as long as its real fruit juice and MIxed with water, They tell you to start with blander flavors so the baby won't reject them over the sweeter ones, Kindof like when starting baby foods, they say to introduce veggies first, otherwise baby only wants fruit because its sweet. My Ped told me when My daughter was 8 months not to worry too much about juices, its more about introducing the flavor and the change, they really can't absorb alot of the vitamins that are in it, because they don't digest it properly until after a year old, I can verify that is true, because when I would give her juice NO matter how much I diluted it, she would get a rash, now that she is older I noticed it slowly got to the point where she can have straight juice with no problems, However that doesn't mean not to give it to them, They need the change.
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Juice is sugary...I just give my 11 month old water and he drinks that fine. I don't understand why everyone gives their kids juice. The nutrients aren't a lot compared to the amount of sugar. If you're gonna dilute it why not give just water?

That said, if you are going to give your baby juice, white grape is probably good to start since it's pretty bland. Def. water it down tho.
    quirkymama

Answer by quirkymama at 3:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My husband says that juices are high in antioxidants and even though breast milk(not so high in formula) *breast is the way to go!* is extremely high in antioxidants, he believes that getting nutrients and antioxidants from other sources is good for your digestive system and over all bodily health.
    slowyourrole

Answer by slowyourrole at 6:37 PM on Nov. 23, 2010