Would you work in your child's class?

I'm a substitute para (teacher's assistant in special education classes) and I picked up a job for next Friday in my three year old daughter's preschool classroom.

I called the teacher to ask if she minded a parent being the para for the day, and she really hesitated, and then said that she never subbed in her kids' rooms when she was a sub. Then she said it would be fine, and went on about how I'd have to do diapering and they had one sub who didn't have children and didn't know how to diaper. (Of course that's the para's fault because she should have put the diapering in the sub position description...)

Oh and apparently the para had requested someone else, but I either picked up the job first, or she didn't want it. The teacher brought that up several times.

She seemed really bitchy, so I'm trying to decide if I should keep the job, or just drop it and let someone else take it.

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 12:18 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• I wouldnt have a problem working in my childs class, as a child my mom worked in my classes occasionally. i think i would have a problem with working with a teacher with that kind of attitude though. i dont know, it just sounds like she doesnt want you there and i dont usually hang out where i know im not wanted. it just sounds like it would make for a long day.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I'd take the job just FOR the reason that she seemed so 'bitchy'. I'd want to know how she was treating my child in her classroom.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• As bad as the economy is, any job will do. That was bitchy of her to act like that. You're just a sub, its not like you're teaching for the whole year.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2009