How do I potty train my son?

My son will be 3 in June, and he's not potty trained. He doesn't care if he's wet or stinky - and he can be VERY stinky. Sometimes he's willing to pee in the potty, but mostly not. And I'm legally blind, so I can't tell if he's starting to go in his diaper. I've told him he'll get a new toy if he goes poopie in the potty, but he still doesn't want to. Should I just wait till he's interested? Or start using training pants and deal with the messes? (: Or maybe pay my mom to potty train him? :) He also has a lot of diarrhea, which makes it that much harder. Any advice would be welcome.

Katze

Asked by Katze at 12:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my daughter I started way early done most parents do. I started before she turned two. What I did was picked a specific time in the morning after breakfast and then I will sit her on the potty. I will be sitting with her though. It takes a while before she got used to it. I never gave up though by the time she was 2 she could go by herself. You can try that that way every day around the same time he will start associating it with going potty. Talk to him when he is on there two about going potty. All the best.
    sanab

Answer by sanab at 1:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I know this is rare, my son potty trained himself @ 2 1/2. I had to buy my husband new underwear and my son said,"What's that momma?" I said, "That's daddy's new underwear." Out of the blue he said he needed new underwear too. I asked him if he was going to start using the big boy potty and he said YES. Within 2 weeks he was completely potty trained, dry all night.
    stretchswife

Answer by stretchswife at 1:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My mother-in-law says to put something flushable in the toilet, like cherrio or leaf, have him aim and try to sink it as fast as possible to the bottom. It worked for her working in a daycare.
    mumummum

Answer by mumummum at 3:27 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I have 3 boys-and the doctors will tell you that boys generally take longer to figure out the potty training than girls. If you try to push it on them before they are ready, they resist it longer. Try to make sure you change him AS SOON AS he goes, so he isn't getting used to being wet/stinky. If he's used to a dry diaper, he will notice faster when it's not! Also, I don't know what kind of neighborhood you live in, but my oldest son was scared of the toilet at first- he thought it was cool to go outside and pee on a tree! Then we moved the tree (leaf) into the toilet, and it worked. My middle son liked to go when his Dad went, so they could "race". You said he will sometimes use the potty-make sure you make an overly BIG deal when he does it!
    shelleyv

Answer by shelleyv at 6:10 PM on Mar. 20, 2009