WHY DO DOCTORS ALWAYS ADD 2 WEEKS TO YOUR PREGNANCY?

I NEVER THOUGHT TO AS THAT oops caps lock, anyhow now im asking does anyone know why docs add two wks to your pregnancy? cuz am i not really only 4 wks? or lol am i 6wks my due date is Nov 30th they say right now but then again she said its an estimation. lol i should of asked with he other 2 girls i have. well any answers?

Ayeshah

Asked by Ayeshah at 12:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They do it because the total weeks can be 42 weeks.
    Anonymous

• i didnt knoe they did that.. who told u?
    kokopuffs

Answer by kokopuffs at 12:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• they do it because you usually get pregnant 2 weeks prior to your next period.
    so if it has been 4 weeks since the last period then you would be 6 weeks pregnant or something like that. that is why they usually not all but some do an early ultra sound to get a better idea. its all a guess anyways it could be wrong by 2 week in either direction lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• because they go by your last menstrual period and not the time of conception. usually your LMP is 2 weeks before you ovulate and 2 weeks before next period is due. i am due nov 17 and almost 6 weeks so you must be 4 weeks like the doctor said not 6.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 12:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• First day of your last menstrual period. There is no way of knowing exactly the day you ovulated, but you definitely would know the first day you last started bleeding.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:54 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• mrsary--- i KNEW it was something like that lol .. i was totally right but heck i was close
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• i was NOT *** lol
    Mrs.Owen86

• Its like MrSary said, its not that they add 2 weeks to your pregnancy.

There is no way to determine to exact day of conception unless that was the ONLY day you had sex that entire year, so your pregnancy is determined from the first day of your LMP. Your LMP is generally 2 weeks prior to ovulation (but again there is no way to tell the exact day of conception).

And so, that is the date that the doctors use. If you are 4 weeks pregnant, then that means the age of your fetus is approximately 2 weeks, but you are 4 weeks pregnant. Does that make sense?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• They did that with me too! I was soo confused with what they estimated the baby would be born!
    It was the most confusing thing to me and throughout half of my pregnancy I was all.."I'm not 28 weeks, I'm 25 weeks!" but don't confuse the doctor cause he'll only confuse you more. I just let it ride and now that I'm 36 weeks, I am beginning to get it. lol. It's kinda too late now but it makes more sense when it gets closer to your due date and you finally get it! lol. I sometimes still believe I'm 34 weeks. lol. but, I guess I'm wrong somehow?!?!!? :)
    CandieGirl09

Answer by CandieGirl09 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• UMM okay HUH? i get it but i don't she said i was technically 3wks and some days then the ultrasound tech said i was 6 wks and some days so that's why i asked cuz yeah i want to know when i am really do, today i went after getting off line for my ultrasound and it was told i am 6 weeks and my due date is now some where around the 19th 20ish, im like what a leap & how is that possible? they said once i get further along they'll be able to tell more accurately. this makes no sense to me, i guess i wanted to know exactly and with my other kids it seems like they were right on the money but this one their like well we'll do another ultrasound in a few wks, the crazy thing is i spotted off & on for the week of my period but that's when i knew something was wrong cuz for me that's not normal. im still confused thou. lol i wanted to know before i went to the ultrasound to kind of ask but it left me still lost. Thanks thou.
    Ayeshah

Answer by Ayeshah at 2:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2009