i dont know what do to here

I have a 14 month old lab/rott mix who just got spayed. I have a 18 month old pit/boxer (fixed male) and a 11 week old mix of the two puppy. They all get along fine but it seems recently my female has been snapping at the two males. Like when they are near her food or when she is sleeping and they get in her way or interrupt her or even when they all sit and watch us eat she will snap at them! She has never done anything to me, hubby or dd. DD actually climbs on her while she sleeps or tries to touch her food and she doesnt do anything but with the toher dogs she does. Im not sure what to do. I thought after she got fixed she would calm down and she has in other ways. Do you think she is jealous of the other dogs. Should i get rid of her? like i said she has never even flinched at us let alone growl. I love her like she is my own child, shes my dog but i dont know what to do. I dont want her to hurt the other dogs

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Pets

• OP here: my older male is very passive he just walks away when she does it...any suggestions???
    Anonymous

• Sounds like she is trying to establish dominance adn showing them that she is in charge of the pack
    Anonymous

• I agree, she is trying to be Alpha, head of the pack. Just so long as she realizes that her humans are her Alphas then it should be OK.

Answer by Bmat at 1:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• so as long as she continues to behave with me and hubby and dd i shouldnt have any problems but i swear the first time she even barely growls aat any of us out the door she goes!
    Anonymous

• Being aggressive to your other animals may be just the beginning. Sometimes (not always, but it can happen) dogs with this aggression start with other animals and then it may escalate to members of the family. So I would try to nip this in the bid asap. Spaying doesn't always make a dog less aggressive.

Anonymous

• You need to address the food aggression within your home. It is a behavior that will increase in other areas, such as toys and furniture. It is easy to remedy. If you need help pm me.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 9:36 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• We have some food aggression issues here. It doesn't happen when I give them treats, but if I give them something that takes awhile to eat like a pig ear or their meal then we have had fights. After the second time, I started feeding them in their crates and that has really helped.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:11 AM on Mar. 21, 2009