How old do you think a kid should be before they can play outside by themselves?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• It depends greatly on the area and the yard. Is the yard fenced in? Is the area safe?

I have a fenced in yard but I'm in a bad area. I am ok with running into the house to grab the phone or something but my kids don't play alone outside for more than 2 minutes tops. They are almost 3, almost 5, and almost 6.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• It depends on where you live and the child.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• this most definately depends on your area...I live in a nice neighborhood circle drive so my 7 and 4 year old play outside often! They do have boundaries they don't go beyond though.
    lesliegail22

Answer by lesliegail22 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• i live in a good area with a big fenced locked backyard..so my daughters played outside by herself since she was 2...plus the dog barks like crazy whenever someone comes near the fence or comes up into the front..but shes not allowed in the front yard by herself..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• my 6 year old plays out side by himself but he dont leave certain spots now my 3 year old is not aloud out by herself
    mememe27

Answer by mememe27 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Totally depends on where you live.

I live on a road with speeds of 45 mph and our driveway is U shaped. For some reason people feel that my driveway is THEIR turn around. If she wants to do something in the driveway like chalk, ride her scooter, etc than I stay out there with her. Otherwise she goes in the back yard. We definitely don't live on the kind of street you can ride bikes on or walk to a friends house.

She is 9 by the way.
    Anonymous

• Definitely consider your area and the people in it. If you have idiots who drive recklessly in yuor neighborhood, even older children won't be safe.

But as a general rule probably around 7 or so. Maybe 6 but it all depends.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 1:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Like the others said it depends on your neighborhood and the kid. We have a fenced in back yard (6' high privacy fence all the way around). Even my 3yo is allowed out there by herself as long as she stays away from the pool (it's an above ground one).

My other kids are allowed out front by themselves and have been since last summer. Last year they were 8, 6 1/2 and 5 1/2 and were allowed to go as far as 3 houses on either side of ours. This summer they are turning 9, 7 1/2 and 6 1/2 and the older 2 can ride to the ends of the block on their bikes. The 6yo can as long as they are with her otherwise she has to stay in front of the house.

I've lived her 20 years and the neighborhood isn't any more dangerous then when I was a kid (despite what some people think). Oh, and I live in Chicago, in the city and have most of my life.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I don't agree that it depends on where you live. Most of these nutcase kidnappers go to the nicer neighborhoods to abduct children. I would't let my son play outside alone until he's about 12 or so. Sorry...
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 2:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I agree with NJMOM2TYLER,it's way too crazy to leave them alone,It greatly depends on the child's maturity and educated about eg: "Stranger Danger or unfamiliar persons nearby~Educate your children,to protect themselves~
    Anonymous