Where do you keep your important documents such as social security cards, passports, birth certificates, etc?

I am thinking about putting ours in a safety security box after making copies of them. I don't need them all the time but when I do I prefer that they be easily accesible. So, I was curious to see what works for every one else.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 1:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I keep our marriage certificate, birth certificates, titles for vehicles, passports, all of that type of thing in a fireproof safe in my closet.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 2:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• We have a very large firesafe my husband and I use to store our valuables in.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• We put ours in safety deposit box at the bank. My husband works there so they are easily accesible, but we do still keep copies at home.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• When I lived at my grandparents house, they stayed in the fire-proof safe.

Now they stay in a binder labeled "Important papers" lol, which include all tax stuff, birth certificates for me, my DD, my SO, my dad, and my sister, as well as my social security cards for my sister, me and my DD, and a bunch of other stuff.

But now that I have read this question, I think your idea sounds like a good one, with the making copies and having the originals put into a fire-proof safe. Maybe if I ever get my California State Tax Return I will go buy one.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My mom had a fireproof safe with every piece of paper that she considered important...birth certificates, social sec cards, shot records, her marriage certificate, paperwork for all he vehicles and the house...

I've just got a folder with everything in it... It's always kept in one spot so I know where its at.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My mom always stored her stuff in the freezer, as do I. When my mom and dad's house burned down as newlyweds, the only thing that survived was the refrigerator. So all of our important info stays in an envelope in there.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I have a folder labeled "Important Documents" and they are locked in my filing cabinet here at home.
    Anonymous

• in my underwear drawer lol
    Anonymous

• I have a binder that I call my "Life Binder". My hubby is active duty military and I have all of the important stuff in that, such as his orders, my Power of Attorney over all of his affairs, the Guardianship papers for my SD, a copy of his mil ID, our marriage license and numbers that I might need should I have to call for military advice. The SSNs for myself and the kids are kept in my wallet along with our insurance cards.
    stretchswife

Answer by stretchswife at 1:45 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I really need to get a safe or ask my dad for the combo for his.
    Right now the kids birth certificates and SS cards are in their original envelopes and are in one of the cubbies on my desk. My SS card is in my wallet where it has been since I was a teen (well technically I've only had this one since I got married but I've always carried it with me). Don't have a copy of my BC but I have a copy of hubby's somewhere. No clue where our marriage certificate went. It was in our car but I finally cleared it out and can't remember where I put it, lol.

A lot of our important papers (like vehicle information/registration) was lost when we moved. It's a long story but we are having the hardest time getting copies of car Titles and things to prove we own our vehicles.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2009