How do you diet and do family dinners at the same time?

I am on the forever diet, still trying to lose the last 10-15 of baby weight (mind you, my "baby" is 2 now...) anyway, it makes family dinners so hard! There's just no way to cook one thing we can all eat, how do you handle? Is everyone cooking more than one dinner at night?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 1:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• skip the starch and eat lean meats and veggies. If you are having hot dogs or hamburgers, don't eat the roll. Tacos, replace the tortilla with a whole leaf of lettuce. Skip the cheese. Go for a walk after dinner. If you are making a casserole, serve it with veggies on the side, like a salad. Have a salad plate of salad and a saucer size portion of casserole. I'm not an advocate of low carb diets- but eat only good carbs, and measure your portions until you learn what an actual portion is.

If you have dessert, eat no more than three bites. Don't eat while you cook. Taste once for seasoning.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I found out that eating a big dinner (or any dinner after 4 PM) kept me from losing weight. I guess I don't have enough time to burn the calories.

So, I would make dinner for the family and set aside a plate for me for the next day around 4PM. That is when I would eat whatever the family had from the night before.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I make healthier meals and when I make my plate, I go heavier on the veggies than on the meat or starches. I also get smaller portions.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 1:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Its all about portions. Eat less. You can still eat the things you like you just have to cut back.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 1:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I eat the same thing I make for my family, just smaller portions. And instead of snacking on cookies or cake or whatever, I eat fruit or yogurt or hummus with pita chips. My kids are at school, so I eat salads or yogurt or hummus/pita chips for lunch, and a bowl of cereal or a couple hard boiled eggs for breakfast. I find that if I eat lighter meals during the day, when dinner rolls around, I don't want to overeat, b/c I feel so much better from the healthier, lighter meals I've already eaten and I don't want to lose that feeling. But, I also indulge myself sometimes. We'll still have cookies or cake, ,and for example, tonight we're doing frozen pizza.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:38 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I try to portion control. But it was so much easier when our kids were younger and I was still active duty. cause I would PT all the calories I was eating and then some. Man I wish I was 119 again...maybe one day!
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Oh, yeah, don't finish your kids food.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2009