I have 2 questions. What can I do to potty train a very stubborn child and how can I get my 15mth old off the bottle?

They are both very stubborn and hard to teach. I am going crazy trying to potty train my 2 yr old. I can't take diapers away because my 15 mth old is still in diapers and not walking yet. Pull-ups haven't helped, she just gets a horrible diaper rash after 1 - 2 hours. Any advice is extremely welcomed!

mumummum

Asked by mumummum at 1:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Throw the bottle in the trash, it wont kill em, and on your 2yo if they are nt ready they arent ready my boys were closer to 2 1/2 some kids get closer to 3 before they are ready. Dont push it.
    Anonymous

• Well...when it comes time for his next bottle give him a sippy cup and food, they make trainer cups, that feel like bottles, try those, THROW THE BOTTLE AWAY AND DONT GIVE IT TO EM, If you try to stop it , but give in they will hold out like an ox omg, dont give in, And talk to them, tell them that they cant have it anymore thats its broke, it ran away, its gone gone , whatever you want, even if they dont respond its important to communicate the situation. Dont worry about him starving or dying of thirst i swear to you they will give in eventually, It isn;t always easy but it will work. My daughter is 20 months and I just started potty training, if they are still wet throughout the night, its too soon, if they dont communicate that they have to go potty its too soon, the best thing to do is to pay attention to the potty scheldule, when they go in there diaper then around that time sit them on the potty with a book til they go
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• As far as the bottle goes, just take it away and give them a sippy. Don't make the bottle an option. Your child will not die of thirst. If s/he gets thirsty enough s/he will drink it.

And for potty training. Take your child to sit on the potty every 15-30 minutes. Sit him/her down and don't let him/her get up till s/he goes. If pull-ups don't work, try real underwear during the day. They need to "feel" wet to know what it's like. Once you got a handle on daytime pottying start with no drinks at least 1 hour before bed. Then when s/he wakes up dry consistently for a week or 2, try real underwear at night. I have a journal about it. You should read it. Let me know if you need more help.
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 2:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Yeap I TOTALLY agree...toss out all the bottles! Our kids got off bottles at the age of 1. They make the sippy cups that are almost like bottles. As far as the pull ups. They need to be able to communicate that they have to use the potty. Or they wont even think to tell you..if they dont know how. Yeah it sucks having to use pampers and pull ups but make a schedule. I started a timer for every 15-20 minutes for them to go sit on their potty seats. My girls were 3 1/2 and 2 1/2. Neither had any interest. For 3 months I tried, even my own sister tried. To no avail. Just one day they made up their own mind to wear big girl panties (they wore pull ups at night for accidents, till they learned to either wait till morning or get up in the night to pee). Each child is different. My son is only 2 1/2 and barely interested in the potty, so i will start when he is ready.
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2009