You're Welcome America

So, I love Will Ferrell and the Saturday Night Live sketches he did as Bush were hilarious, however I watched "Thank You America" last night on HBO and I will have to say that I was a bit offended.

Saturday Night Live makes fun of all parties, no one is safe, and I dig that - but it doesn't (usually) push the offensive envelope too far. But a 1.5hr sketch on Bush that was beyond disrespectful in some stages, crass, and one sided - really bugged me.

Dude, as a citizen, I never felt that Bush represented me, and I am a huge Obama supporter, but this was wrong. What do you think? And if you were offended by it, are you offended by the terrible disrespect to Obama that this site seems to have in spades? If not, why?

Fiveofakind2

Asked by Fiveofakind2 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• So five, what you are saying is that you personally would not be so disrespectful. That's fine and all, but I am wary of being restrictive of what people say. I guess I would much rather be offended than restricted.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I fully believe that anyone can talk smack about any president, current or past. I have seen some stuff on here that surprises me with the amount of hate and vitriol, but unless it rises to the level of a threat I support their right to say it.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Dammit, I'm so pissed that I missed it. Thanks for rubbing it in. I'm too cheap to even have HBO.
    Aubles

Answer by Aubles at 1:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Oh, I support their right to make fun - but I have a problem when they use it in a forum of commentary without an opposing view. OR when it is just blatantly disrespectful of their perceived character rather than their actions.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• bouncingDammit, I'm so pissed that I missed it. Thanks for rubbing it in. I'm too cheap to even have HBO.

mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:54 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I missed it too, but saw the ads for it when he was on Broadway...while I was not a fan of Bush, I did think it may have been a bit much, again, I didn't see it so I don't know the content, but he was President of our country, I think that deserves a bit more respect. Just as I feel Obama deserves way more respect than most of the right are giving him. Pipe dream, I know!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Meh. You can have an opposing view. Do a blog about it. Protest his show. I don't believe the forum matters. You have a right to free speech, so you do not have to show an opposing view, and you do not have to be respectful. That's the dirty secret of free speech....everyone has it, not just people you agree with.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Stacy, but that is the thing - I do agree with the stuff that was said, I feel that it was said in a disrespectful manner. I am wondering if there should be a line (obviously not a law or a rule) but a respected human line that we all try to follow?
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Ah. Well, taste can't be legislated. Impossible. Maybe people don't agree it was disrespectful. Maybe they think it's all in good fun. You'll never get people to agree, take a look at Political Answers on CM! lol
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• It was an awesome show and you know what, he had every right to do it. Freedom of Speech and all of that!
    Anonymous