getting frustrated while potty training my 19month boy

I have a question, that maybe some of you could help with! My son, Drew, is 19 months and we have started potty training. I have been using the 3 day method. I used it with my neice and it worked wonders!!! We are on our 3rd day and he is doing pretty good. He goes in the big potty (he doesnt like the lil potty) about 3 times a day, but still has accidents in his undies. I am a single mom, so there is no male role model to watch when peeing. Has anyone else had problems with this?

I guess I'm just getting frustrated because i only have till the end of the weekend till he has to go back to daycare, and i really want him pt'd by then. I dont want this week of hard work to be for nothing! Can anyone give me any ideas on how to keep him going in the potty?

erafters

Asked by erafters at 1:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used the 3-day method with my son who was almost three. I agree with the other lady who said it turned into more of a six day method! I just really used the 3-day method to have a good start to it. We had some setbacks because of daycare because he HAD to wear Pull-Ups until totally trained there. When at home, he wore underwear with plastic pants over them and a Pull-Up overnight because I needed some sleep! Also, no drinks an hour before bedtime and always potty right before bed. It's probably too cold yet, but what really helped us was to let him run around outside wearing just a t-shirt. He would pee and would actually look down and understand that he was going and that he could control it. We also used a sticker chart and had to give him M&Ms to get him used to going #2.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• 19 months is really to young to force potty training on. Even if it did work on your niece
    (you didnt say but I asume she was the same age?) every kid is different and boys are usually later on girls on this stuff. Give it time, he isnt ready.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Truthfully I didn't know that boys got potty trained that young. My son is 18 months old and I hadn't considered it yet.
    gummylump

Answer by gummylump at 1:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My 19 mo old son is no where near ready for potty training. My other boys weren't trained completely until right around their 3rd birthday. I'm surprised he's even going as much as he is, but I've never tried the 3 day method. I may try that sometime after he turns 2, though. He's probably not quite ready, but keep trying!!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 1:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Boys do take longer to potty train, and yes 19 months is young, My daughter is 20 months and we started, her doctor thought i was crazy, but I am not trying to do it in 3 days either, I am more like trying to get her familiar with the potty, what we do in the potty and the reasons we don't want to keep wearing the diapers. I have no one to help with this, I have no idea what i am doing but its working lol. I just talk to her, and do the things the way I have taught her everything else. Curious to know what the three day method is, if anyone wants to share. But its most likely that he is not ready. A big part of Potty training is communication and demonstration in sorts and with no male to demonstrate I dont know how easy it is going to be to show him.... Honestly I have no idea ...not even sure why i answered lol
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• The younger you start, the less ready they are, the longer it takes. Getting frustrated will only make it take longer.

Yes, the 3 day method worked for your niece. She may have been ready. Different kids are ready at different ages and different kids learn at different paces. You need to scale back what YOU want to what HE is able and willing to do. Trying to force him to follow your schedule, for your convience and happiness will only make you both miserable. Work WITH him. Use the method and timing that works for HIM.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• With my son there wasn't a male to show him and he did fine. I didn't start till he was 2 and it took about a week to get the idea and a month to not have accidents. He was completely trained by 2.5
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My mother-in-law said to put e cheerio or flushable toy or leaf in the toilet and have him try to sink it. Make it a game. See how fast he can sink it to the bottom. It also helps teach him aiming, which we all know is important!
    mumummum

Answer by mumummum at 3:23 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I think the 3 day method works well, it did for us at 19 months. You just have to stick to it. 3 accidents a day on day 3 is not bad. Keep it up... don't use diapers or even pull-ups except for at night (or maybe naps if you really want to). For us it was more like the 6 day method, but it worked. Also, at that age can't you have him sit down to pee? My friend did that with his boy.

EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Relax! Boys take a longer time at training than girls generally and every child is different! Use Cheerios in the potty, boys like the search and destroy method!! It works! Don't push to frustration, that will only frustrate and "push off" your son!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 3:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2009