Why Is It...

Here are some inconsistancies that I wonder about. I'm not trying to bash, I'm really curious about these... so why is it that....

If you're older than 10 and you believe in Santa Claus you're immature, but if you're older than 10 and believe in God, is normal?

The Bible is considered absolute, undisputable truth, but The Illiad and the Odyssey are not? Both feature deities, miracles, vengance, war, murder, sacrifice, and a main character who did many unbelievable things. They were both written by men; why is one called historical fiction and the other called fact?

If someone says God speaks to them, it's normal; but if someone says Napoleon or Joan of Arc speaks to them, they're insane?

It's believed that Mary concieved Jesus while a virgin, but if a girl today said the same thing, nobody would believe her?

Please don't answer with "it's in the bible" or "faith". I'm asking for logical answers please.

Koukla12905

Asked by Koukla12905 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are no logical answers to your very good questions, I wouldn't expect any.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:54 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I can explain...(big surprise eh?)
    It has been proven how people in the past thought there were giants from dinosaur bones.
    God hasn't been proven to not exist or to be dead.
    History explains the others are dead.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Also the story of Santa clause is a silly thing to put against the belief in God.

This is why,

Santa clause was made up for children to believe in instead of God.

Since Santa has no religion and is just a nice story. I don't see how anyone can possibly think it is worthy to compare to the almighty.

Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Ok Alize I'm confused (which today isn't a surprise...LOL) are you saying tht bc God hasn't been proven one way or the other it's factural and history has been proven and it's fictional bc those in history are dead? 

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• NO. God has and is proving to everyone. Everyday that he is real. Its the people who don't want to see it that don't. As for the things proven to be discredited...YES it has been proven that they buried dead dinosaurs thinking they were Giants in their stories.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Hope I answered your question. (laughs)
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Logically speaking...

I DO believe in Santa and God. I believe in the spirit of Santa, or the art of giving of yourself. I also know that Santa is a legend that started with a REAL person, St. Nick. And I KNOW GOD exists because I just know. It's not something I can prove or disprove because when one doesn't want to "see God" they won't.

I pretty much hold all those books in the same category; spiritual fiction. There may be some truth to them but the real truth lies within not in a man-written book.

Actually, I know many people who claim to "hear God" and they're told they're nuts. I've even said that God speaks to me and because it's not "biblical" I must be hearing from the devil instead. All I can say to all of that is, "If it's hamful in any way then it's not from GOD" and if you don't believe the message then move on.

And lastly, I don't believe that Mary was a virgin as in having no sex but a virgin..
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 2:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• ...as in pure in spirit. And nowadays if a girl came to say she was pregnant and a virgin we could run tests to find out for sure. :)

jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 2:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• They have ways to tell if Mary was a virgin back then too. You have a woman examine her for one. And two I am sure in order to have the baby she had to have that barrier broken through.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Ty Alize.. that was clearer..lol...
     The legend of Santa is based on a Saint... St. Nicholas... the books in the Bible to me can be held as both truth in some and fictional in some bc there is to much contracdicting going on to remotely (JMO) hold it as all facts where as history has proven that certain things did or parts of still do exist today...
     And like jenettyshome said, there are ways to prove if a girl claims to be pg and yet is still a virgin... 

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:24 PM on Mar. 20, 2009