Teach Me to Bake! lol

Ok so over the past 7 years, I have taught myself , so many new things, I taught myself to cook, with the basics i was taught by a wonderful italian woman, Now I love to cook and I am damn good at it too.. I taught myself to paint, stencil, decorate and create different kinds of crafts, scrapbooking, photography and couple other things, I recently bought a sewing machine, Never used one, except for in home ec back in 7th grade, and I wasn't very good, And I have taught my self how to sew and i am getting very good at it. However there is baking, I can make muffins and brownies, but that is where good food stops coming out of my oven, with cookies, I get what is referred to as Cookie Brittle by my loving man, and i dont dare try cakes, I need tips and tricks for soft cookies, and what is the easiest and best way to start baking cakes. (also how do you make blueberry muffins more moist on the inside)

Mommyxtwo777

Asked by Mommyxtwo777 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I agree with what the others said, and just want to add, that I always take cookies out when they look just shy of being done, so they still look a bit underdone, b/c they will still bake just a touch after you take them out, and then they come out perfect for me. I don't go based on time, per se, if the recipe says to bake for 10-12 minutes, I set the timer for 10, check them, and then when they look almost done, but not quite, I pull them. By the time I get them off the cookie sheet, they are perfectly done where they are still moist and chewy, but not so that you bite into them and get warm cookie dough in the middle (although that is a nice treat too! lol).
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:32 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• i just follow the recipe for cookies on the back of the chocolate chip bag. bake for 9 or 10 minutes and thats it. and when you bake you have to be 100% accurate with the measurments or it wont turn out how you want it. and get boxed cake add the eggs and whatever else bake until you can put a toothpick in the middle and nothing sticks to it when you pull it out and put your icing on it and decorate with whatever you want. thats what i do, and no one can tell the cake is boxed cake :)
    Anonymous

• baking is more science than cooking. get an oven thermometer and make sure it is the same temp as what you want to cook at.
    use a scale for measuring rather than cups, more acurate!
    weather conditions and altitude make a difference. get a good basic cookbook and read(like a novel) the how to bake section. I hope this helps
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Sorry, can't help with the baking, I am a horrible baker. I can cook, but not bake. I don't have the patience to measure things and you have to be precise in baking or you could have a mess.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 20, 2009