Solid foods for my 4 month old

I started to feed solids to my 4 month old two weeks ago. We are up to Applesauce, bananas, peas and green beans. I stopped giving her rice cereal after the first few feedings b/c it just does not seem as if it would add much nutritional value to her diet. Am I right or should I be supplementing with rice cereal. Also, I am making all of her food myself (fresh green peas vs. brown mush in the jars).

NoemiMom

Asked by NoemiMom at 2:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I stopped rice about that time and switched to oatmeal with my DD. She liked it mixed with her fruits for some reason. But what you are doing sounds great. :) I don't think they need much cereal when they move to fruits and veggies. My pedi said it was never really needed unless for reflux and intro to foods. I asked because my DD never really liked it unless it was mixed.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 2:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Just be careful. I believe with peas you're supposed to peal each one because they can choke on the skins. Also carrots have nitrates on them so it's best not to make your own carrots.

I like rice cereal to thicken up her purees because she seems to take it better and the added iron is a great benefit for a breast fed baby, but it's not a necessity. It's not wrong to give your child rice cereal, but it's not wrong not to either. Every parent and child is different.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I only used it for cereal at breakfast until they were eating regular cereal and breakfast foods....it's not necessary.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• my 4 month old eats for breakfast; 4-5 onces of formula and 2 tablespoons of oatmeal cereal(you can use any kind) at lunch he eats 4 -5 onces of formula and 2 tablespoons of fruit. then as a snack he eats 4 to 5 onces of formula and at dinner he eats 4 to 5 onces of formula 2 tablespoons of vegies which i give him carrots and i give him barley and before bed another 4 to 5 onces of formula and shower and he sleeps all night till ROUND 8 IN THE MORNING.
    beachbabewdj08

Answer by beachbabewdj08 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Its all fine and dandy that you are feeding your baby solids at 4 months old, just remember that this is just practice, and formula/breastmilk should be his main source of nutrition until a year old.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:26 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• At 4 months, my son was eating a small jar of furit or veggie at lunch and dinner and for breakfast, ceral with fruit mixed in. It all depends on your child and how you feel about how much and of what he needs to eat. Every baby is different. If I would have used formula as the main source of nutrition until my son was a year, I would have been going through in excess of 12 cans of powdered formula a month. At $20+ a can, I didn't have the money to do that, even with the help of WIC.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I fed my son the cereal because he liked it. It was breakfast and the others were for later in the day. Actually, the baby cereals are good for them. And, they can eat carrots just fine if they aren't allergic. Homemade is better than the jar stuff anyday.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2009