All of a sudden my 5 year old is concerned with friends thinking his cloths are funny. Is this just his age?

We have tried to raise him to have concern for a persons "inside" their true heart. NOT what type of cloths they are wearing.

He has never made fun of anyone else, he is worried about his own cloths looking right.

I shop at various places, anywhere I can get a good deal. Walmart, kmart, even the thrift store from time to time, his cloths are neat and clean. And I think CUTE!

He has been saying things like: "my friends dont like shirts with dogs on them" Thats what he said this morning, I told him we dont dress so that our friends will be impressed, we dress so that we can be covered up and not be naked.

Is this his age or what? I hate this type of attitude. I want to raise a child who could care less what others thought, not a people pleaser.

Has your child ever done this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Didn't we all do this when we were in school. He is developing his own sense of style. I think that it is important to teach kids not to be materialistic, but I also think that it is important for them to feel comfortable with the way they look and around their peers.
    Anonymous

• My daughter has. It started in kindergarten for her and it isn't ahuge issue, but the kids do notice stuff by this age. She came home one day and asked for nike shoes. I was surprised but it hasn't been a really big issue. She is 7 now and just picked out a new backpack. When she was about to go to school the first day with it she said I hope the kids like it and don't make fun of it...Ugh! so frustrating but normal.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I think it is the age. I have a four year old and I have been growing out my hair. For the first time in a long time I put my hair in a pony tail. He told me that my hair looking funny and that his friends would roll around in the floor laughing at me. He didn't want me to take him into preschool until I took my hair down.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• OMG! I thought I was the only one...now my son only likes "new clothes"...(trust I am not out there shopping for them lol) and tells me that I need to buy his pants bigger and he doesn't like certain shoes, etc. I think they start teasing badly in school at this age.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 2:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• ya hugh,its just beginning.wait till he gets older/i dont like your shirt or i dont like your pants.i have a 9 yr old and live in a very competitive town not nessercerily rich.gotta have the north face or the uggs.they are into sports in our town so its teams why arent you on a team .or like my daughters friend i can play soccer better than you(this isnt my daughter but her friend and another girl)i have learned there is only so much you can do and buy.bought the uggs never again.bought northface xlarge so she can get some yrs out of it.your lucky you have a boy and not a girl.its awful girls are so petty even at this age.ya and the hair ...and i am older than the other moms so i get you dont look like the other moms.great.watch out for woman in tennis outfits lol...
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• mine never did, still don't at 12, 14, 15.I wish they did sometimes...LOL. They are always dressed all mismatched and something is too small (b/c it is their brothers and they don't care-the youngest has seperation anxiety with old clothes).
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2009