how do i teach my active son what he shouldn't touch or climb without getting frustrated with him?

sometimes i get so frustrated i want to throw something myself (i don't) but i don't want to explode on him...i want to teach him to behave. I do let him run around and climb things in the park, or where it is appropriate, because he is a child. but how do i get him to stop climbing on a table at McDonald's or a restaurant while we are eating?

Asked by Dydy at 9:27 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We use those play areas in restaurants to help burn off some of that energy and then they can eat...sometimes we just let them play and we have time alone..then they eat in the car on the way home. I have 2 guys with ADHD ..I feel your pain. Structure helps a whole lot and giving them opportunities to run before going places. Like go to the park then the grocery store. Good Luck with your little ball of energy!!

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• You have to be consistent. When you say no, you have to mean no and enforce it...all the time. Don't let him get away with things. He has to know that mommy means business, lovingly of course. Always try to step back (mentally) from whatever is happening and cool yourself down remembering he's just a kid and needs mommy to teach him what's acceptable and what's not, then deal with the situation. Plus there's always a time and a place. When my son is tired he gets hyper so I do not take him out to eat or to a store.

Answer by lish2127 at 4:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2008