What do you know about being a "guardian"?

I have a good friend that is pregnant and in a bad place in her life....she has been mentioning wanting me to adopt the baby, but I am looking into other options for her. I really think she should keep the baby, because I know things will get better for her, she is just really overwhelmed right now.

I have been researching a little, and I read about guardianship. It sounds a lot like foster care, but the mom picks who the child's guardian is. The mom is still the mom, but the guardian takes care of the child, and has all rights as far as decisions for him/her.

Do any of you ladies know anyone who has done this??? I am very confused about the whole process, and I only want what's best for her and her baby. Any advice out there?

Also, how does medical insurance work? Who's insurance covers the baby? ~ This is the biggest one I can't find any answers for!!!!

christyg

Asked by christyg at 2:25 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Adoption

• I had guardianship of my niece for a while. I think it can be a temporary thing or a permanent thing. You would make all the decisions and take full responsibility for the child. Even insurance would be on you. You might be able to get help through the state for the baby but they may make the mother help with that financially.

moodish

Answer by moodish at 2:31 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My best friend got gaurdianship over her sister and my Grandma got it over my sister. In both cases it was a pretty simple process. They just had to go through the court and get everything legalized. For both the medical insurance was on the Gaurdian but I think if the mother does have insurance, since she is still the mother, she is able to add the baby on but Im not positive on this one.
    Anonymous

• Does insurance LET you add a child that you are guardian of? ~ We have Kaiser, if that makes a difference.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Why would "permanent" guardianship be any different than adoption? ......sorry, lots of questions and you ladies are so smart!!!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:50 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My grandparents had permanent legal guardianship over me but never legally adopted me. I never had insurance as a child so I cant help you there. I do know that I got social security until I was 18 due to my father being permanently disabled. But they had all legal rights over me & were responsible for all my medical & school stuff. I suppose they could have filed for state insurance for me but never did so (they were on social security & pension) I assume that if they had adopted me, I would have no longer been entitled to draw the SS payment from my dad's disability though. They used that money to put me in private school though & pay any medical bills I had.

lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 3:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• christyg- permanant guardianship is different from adoption in that it does not severe the legal parental bond between child and mother/father, it simply grants some rights and responsibilities to another adult. It also is different in the fact that it does not create a legal parental relationship. Also, permanant guardianship is not really permanant in that it can be dissolved by request of the mother or father and agreed upon by the guardian or taken to the courts if there is not an agreement. I had permanant guardianship of my cousin's son for a about two years. He lived with my husband and I until my cousin was on her feet enough to raise him, then we dissolved the agreement. The state provided medical coverage and food stamps to the child, but I'm not sure that was just because he was placed in my care, I think it's because he qualified for them before that.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Also, I wanted to add that the reason we filed for permanant guardianship was becuase the temporary guardianship was limited to 60 days. We had absolutely no problems reversing it later.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:08 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• If you have legal guardianship and the appropriate documents then it would be rare for an insurance company to deny adding the child to your family policy for medical, dental, and vision benefits. Be sure that your agreement stipulates that you need to be able to act on the child's behalf in all decisions related to education, health, and daily living.

However, they would not be included in benefits from life insurance and such as there is no severing of the original parental relationship of the child to their parents. Hope that makes sense! We took guardianship of my husbands nephew for 3 years (from age 15-19) and it allowed his mother to focus on her other 2 younger children while we assisted this teen get through some rough years.
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• For those of you who have done this, would you do it again? I really want to help her, and I will definitely adopt her baby if that's what she needs, but it seems like there have got to be some other options too, ya know??
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:28 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Absolutely. My cousin's child was just under two when we took him in. Later on we took in a 15 year old boy from our church who stayed a year and a half and we are adoptive parents to our three year old twins. I would take any of them again in a second! My friend was pregnant two years ago and in kind of the same type of place as your friend, but it wasn't anything permanant. There was talk about me adopting her baby or taking the baby temporarily. I would've done it, but was really apprehensive because my children were under the age of two and I didn't know if I was equipped to handle that. That's the only time I really thought that maybe it would be best for me not to do it. And now she is glad she didn't adopt out her baby, she couldn't live without her. It was hard when the children went home or moved on, but in my eyes that just meant I'd don'e my job.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 5:41 PM on Mar. 20, 2009