Wonder how many families there are like this in the US?

Overweight family in England says they can't work because of their weight and lives off government assistance. This in my opinion is a great example of abuse of the system. I'm all for it for people who REALLY need it, but IMO, FOR THIS FAMILY, exercise, diet, lose weight, and get a job! I am in no way trying to bash people on assistance, just wondering how many families there are like this in the US.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Fitness/story?id=7122717&page=1

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 2:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know how many families are like this but things like this piss me off. If you have say, a thyroid problem or a gland problem or some medical problem that keeps you large and unable to work that's one thing. But when you don't work because you just can't stay away from fries and cheeseburgers then that's just lazy.

I went from 240 (medication I was on made me gain weight and LOTS of it) to 155 through diet and exercise. It's not that hard if you apply yourself.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 2:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• there are alot of people sadly that are like that . i mean how many overweight people do you see with handicap stickers? im sorry but in my opiinion they can walk that extra 50 feet and leave the handicap places for oh i dont know elderly folks. also alot of the overweight people here get government benefits becuase "they are to ffat to work "" i say drop the chips and cheeseburger and get on a tredmil
    Anonymous

• there are families like that and then there are families that really need the help and judging doesn't help. so yes they are doing wrong but there are way more families that need the help.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 2:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• While I can understand if the family is truly just a bunch of lard asses.....there are some extreme cases in which the weight problem is a medical issue. Not sure what to think about the English family, tho. I get some assistance, but I work FT too. I weigh 160 lbs and my 5 yr old dd weighs 50lbs, LOL. We both get around pretty good.
    Anonymous

• yeah agree that's ridiculous.You know they could get jobs even sitting at a desk all day or work from home.If they won't lose the weight whatever but don't make the taxpayers pay your way for your lack of ambition.They could also go back to school over the internet even using fed funds and work to get off the gov dole.Such is the attitude though.
    Anonymous

• This is my point from the earlier food stamps question. I think WIC, FS, Gov't Assistance, etc are an appropriate and at times needed hand up. But we need an EFFECTIVE government manage the program and process. Before you know it, people are DEPENDENT on the Government for Food, and they are DEPENDENT on the Government for healthcare based on choices they made. Where do we [as a nation] draw the line? What will it take? When the dependent of assistnace out number the taxpayers/providers of assistance?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Just think... if they weren't on assistance, they sure would loose that weight now, wouldn't they? That's what diet I'm on... the poverty diet.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 3:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• my4lads, I was thinking the same thing, stop buying the unhealthy food and start buying healthier options at least, or just eating less.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:54 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• lol my4 so true.People tend to get off their a$$es when there is nobody there to give them a free ride any longer.Imagine that what a concept!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I'm not surprised by this story at all. I'm six months pregnant and just ate my pasta on a tea saucer for lunch. DH was freaking out about my being "overly worried about my weight." I'm not, I just know what a portion is.

The majority of people in "civilized" countries no longer have any idea how much is appropriate to eat. We are served dishes in restaurants that could feed a family of four, and told to divide it in half if we want to eat healthy. It's crazy.

The system needs to be revamped entirely not to allow laziness.

Also, we can start in our own homes by teaching our children healthy eating habits and a good work ethic.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2009