What can I do to help my 5 year old with her reading, writing, and letter/number recognition?

I haven't found tutoring we can afford. I bought some flashcards, memory games, and workbooks that she likes. Also got the leap frog tag reader. She likes them but there is no improvement. They are threatening to hold her back. It's upseting her that she may not go to 1st grade with her friends.

mumummum

Asked by mumummum at 2:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• have you tried having her spelling what she wants, adding how man greenbeans on her plate she has.. Things she can relate to at home.. its silly but they like it and it helps them to remember..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Play games with her. Just keep working on things and remember kids learn through hands on activities and fun! Make the letters into big papers and trace them with markers or finger paints. Glue things all over the paper to go with the letter apple jacks for a ect. Use ice cream buckets for each letter. Go around and find things that can go in the bucket to match with the letter. For numbers practice counting, make numbers on a page and put stickers or stamps to match that number. Take number cards and put them around the house and call out numbers and see how fast she can run to that number. I used to teach Kindergarten so I have tons of ideas PM me if you want more. Remember it is the end of the year and if she is very far off from the goals she might not be able to make that kind of head way. Being held back in kindergarten is OKAY! The better that you take it the better that she will take it! Good Luck!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 3:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Try this for letter recognition and reading: www.starfall.com

We use starfall in Kindergarten

I have another website on my profile for math, but, if I go to it, it will knock me offline(I don't know why)

Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Forget the flash cards, forget the electronics. Play with her!

Get letter and number building blocks and build towers....have her find the "A" block to put on top (or on bottom or where ever) They also have the numbers so you ask her for the special "3" block.

When you're reading a book to her, ask her what the first letter on the page is, when you see the sight words, ask her what those are, sound some of the easier words out WITH her to help with phonics, too. Just make it FUN for her, not work.

My other thought is that better she is held back now rather than later if she really needs extra help.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:55 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Oh..and I also recommend starfall.com! My boys love that site and my 5 year old (just turned) has learned to read some of their short stories!!
    TiccledBlue

• I bought a Hooked on Phonics package at Sam's Club and it was great. You pick the age range that you need to work on, they have flashcards and a cd to listen to while you go through the flashcards and books. It works on words that are common ...they learn at, then cat, bat, rat and so on. Once you see it you'll think why didn't I think of that!
    Emily412

Answer by Emily412 at 9:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Have you had her tested for dyslexia? Take a look here.  http://www.dyslexia.com/qasymptoms.htm#d990124 If she does have it, she can't see the letters numbers and words as other people do. There are special ways to teach a child with dyslexia - ordinary flash cards and games may not work. In any case, dyslexia or not, your childs school should provide a free tutor. They will evaluate her too. Speak to the guidance councelor.

FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• This may not be what you want to hear, but some kids are just not ready for kindergarden. It's not like when a child turns five something turns on in their brain that makes them ready for school. I know you want her to stay with her friends, but that may not be what is best for her. If she struggles and you push her to get through kindergarten, will you do the same thing in 1st grade if she has a hard time? What about second grade? I think if would be easier for her to keep her back now than as she gets older.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Thank you! You are right. It may not be what I want to hear but at least you aren't babying me like my family. I appreciate it. My family is treating us like we can't handle it. My hubby and I are thinking about when we move putting her back in kinder. She's improving at home but is nervous at school. Planning on moving. Worried bout how to explain holding her back.
    This may not be what you want to hear, but some kids are just not ready for kindergarden. It's not like when a child turns five something turns on in their brain that makes them ready for school. I know you want her to stay with her friends, but that may not be what is best for her. If she struggles and you push her to get through kindergarten, will you do the same thing in 1st grade if she has a hard time? What about second grade? I think if would be easier for her to keep her back now than as she gets older.
    mumummum

Answer by mumummum at 2:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2009