How do you stop a grandma....

I love my mother, I really do, and she loves my daughter, however she is making me absolutely crazy. She takes credit for everything i teach her, She tells everyone that she takes care of Patience and raises her, when I can't even get her to babysit for 10 minutes while I run to the store. We share a house, But I pay bills, its a two family. She consistantly does things I ask her not too... feeds her JUNK ALL THE TIME...breakfast and before dinner, then Patience doesn't want to eat her actual meal, I broke her of the bottle , and she tried to sneak one into her, I had her off the bink once before and mom would sneak into her room and give her one, Finally I did it again and this time I swept the house and threw them all away. She yells at her for no reason, and complains about her going to daycare, tells me I am cruel. how do you tell someone to butt the hell out without hurting feelings, I have tried everything I can

Mommyxtwo777

Asked by Mommyxtwo777 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• She's your mom so be nice but talk to her. If you can't talk to her and tell her how you feel then maybe you should set up some rules. She's not the parent here you are, remind her of that. Different people different parenting styles. Ask her how she felt when family did that to her with you. That's what worked with my parents. Now they listen on the food issue and buying outrageous gifts. Grandparents will spoil no matter what but it needs to be within reason. Just remind her of how she did things with you.
    mumummum

Answer by mumummum at 3:12 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Might need to move out if it is an option. I am sorry, hopefully someone else can help better.
    Anonymous

• Move.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I have the same problem with my Father in law to a lesser extent. I restorted to talking to my mother in law and now she manages him. Does your mom have someone in her life that she respects and thinks of as an equal who could plead your case, if she won't listen to you?
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Move time to move yup!
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 4:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Move. Good luck!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 6:42 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Moving would be the most logical thing, However, right now its currently not an option, Its not that she spoils her, but she does everything I ask her not to do, she agrues with me about everything I do, and pretends she is her mother to other people. She did not raise me, Back when I was young she was an alcholic, when my dad passed it got worse, But now she is sober and i sort of wish she was drinking again, as terrible as that is, but she became a pathological liar, a control freak, and well just plain mean. She uses everyone, But I mean she is my mother, I love her and all her flaws, I just really wish I could move away or find away to get her to understand that she is causing problems. Does that make sense? But thank you ladies, for all of your advice. I appreciate it . My fiance and I are trying to get out of her, But right now its just not financially possible.
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 12:43 AM on Mar. 21, 2009