Gassy Infant - need suggestions

Our 6 week old infant is very squirmy and uncomfortable a good amount of the time. He also cries a lot. But one he has belched or passed gas he seems content - for a short time and then it starts all over again. You may think it's gross but his bodily functions can be so LOUD that our whole family has to laugh (including our toddler). We've given him gas medicine but it's not doing much. I have a call in to his pediatrician but in the meantime my man suggested I ask here. Any suggestions or comments?!

Bethe333

Asked by Bethe333 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your formula feeding also try stirring his formula with a spoon instead of shaking the bottle it helps not to have so many bubbles. Also it could be the bottles you are using or you don't have the right stage nipples. If your breast feeding like a previous poster said it could be something your eating. Also Lukas cried a lot and had tummy issues it was awful he was SO colicy and it was horrible there really wasn't much I could do about it but the gripe water did help and I also got some other things at the health food store. A trip to the health food store/herbal store might help.
    momoflukas

Answer by momoflukas at 3:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• try Gripe water you can find it at like a health food store sometimes walmart has it. it worked well with my son. you just mix it in with their bottle if you are breastfeeding then put it in like a medicine dropper and give it to him.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• If you are formula feeding it may be the formula, but if you are breastfeeding it may be something you are eating, lkike to much dairy spicy stuff something like that. My neice just was diagnosed with reflux and it sounds like the same symptoms, sorry I cant htink of anything else to do at home cbesides those drops.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• http://www.mylicon.com/

Helped my son greatly.
    ahufford

Answer by ahufford at 3:50 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Our son had trouble with Similac giving him gas and tummy pain. We switched to Nestle Good Start with DHA. He was fine after that.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 3:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• My ped told me the Mylicon is a placebo and does nothing for gas : P With my kids I would lift their knees up to their chest and gently rock them side to side. To prevent gas make sure you are burping after every meal- don't pat- rub in a gentle circular motion- the less gas in there the more comfy they can be : )
    Anonymous

• Try some warm water. to relieve it.. if not they will probably change his formula .. mite have to be on soy milk formula ... try puttin him on ur knees on his belly and bouncing him....
    MizzMarla

Answer by MizzMarla at 9:49 PM on Mar. 20, 2009