losing my milk? please help!

When my son was born, I breastfed him for a week straight, but it continued to hurt me so I started to pump regularly and feed him from the bottle right after. Now, each time I pump.. I'm getting less and less milk. I pump about every 4-5 hours.
Could I be losing my milk? And if so, is there any way to get it back?
I tried my son on Similac formula for the first time this morning, and he threw it up. (He's almost a month old)

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 3:58 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• thats what happened to me and my doctor said that pumping doesn't stimulate your body the way a baby does! I was so worried but then I sucked it up and breastfed and it came back! Anal eaze from slumber parties works miricales on it though and it doesn't hurt your baby! you can then use it for when he starts to teethe! I sell it so I know that it's safe cause I used it on my daughter when breastfeeding and now that she's teething (I think lol)
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 4:02 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Does your 1 month old really eat only every 4-5 hours? Your milk supply isn't fully established yet so you need to pump more often. Typically a breastfed baby that old will eat every 3-4 hrs so you should pump the same. If for some reason your son does go longer between feeds you should pump more often than he feeds. For physical reasons I had to pump and feed my LO starting around 3 weeks of age. I pumped every 3 hours for 7 months (was able to stretch it at night). Pump more often (every 2-3 hrs) and you will make more milk. Are you able to put him back to the breast? Babies are better milk production stimulus than pumps are.
    2cubs

Answer by 2cubs at 4:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Anal eaze? What is that?
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 4:03 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Well, I'll try him on the breast again.. The only reason I took him off was because the lactation nurses told me it wasn't normal if it continued to hurt.
    So, if I try to pump more (even if I'm only getting a little out at a time) I'll start having more and more milk each time I pump?
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 4:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• it's a numbing agent thats used for well anal but no one buys it for that they buy it for their kids lol.
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 4:05 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• How exactly does it work? How do I use it?
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 4:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• You should consult another lactation specialist if possible. Most pain from breastfeeding is caused by the baby latching on incorrectly. Baby should have most of the areola in his mouth. BFing should not be painful after the first few weeks with a correct latch.
    Heidikans is right, pumping does not produce the same results as bfing. Your body does not produce the same with a machine as it does with a baby. Also the benefits are greater for baby when milk is straight from the breast. Breastmilk does lose some of its nutrition when pumped and fed to baby later. Good Luck!!
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 4:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Please be VERY careful of using any sort of numbing cream (which is what anal eaze is) on any child let alone an infant! It can numb their swallowing muscles and lead to choking because they can't swallow! If you are going to use it then make sure you use it an hour before the baby nurses and completely wash and dry the nipple before the baby latches! This same problem can happen when parents over use teething gels such as Oragel.

It usually takes 24-48 hrs of increased pumping/bf before milk supply increases. Make sure you are drinking a TON of water and getting enough nutrients.

Most lactation consultants would work with you to find out WHY the pain is happening rather than telling you to give up. Maybe try another LC? They are right in that it shouldn't hurt (eventually) but you are still rather new at it so don't give up yet!
    2cubs

Answer by 2cubs at 4:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Anal eaze is just a little bit you would put on your nipple I did it with my daughter she's still alive
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 4:15 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Of course she's still alive. Its a risk that one should be aware of. Not a "happens every time so don't even go there" sort of thing. I'm a pharmacist and we are taught to warn parents of that risk so they know what not to do. Its only a problem for people who slather their kids gums with a numbing cream. I would suggest using a preparation meant for oral use though because the additional ingredients for a rectal product typically include a wax or petroleum jelly for increased duration of action. Not sure about Anal eaze because I've never seen it. However, I think that for nipples, a longer application time would be more beneficial anyways because it would take a bit longer for it to work versus the gums.
    2cubs

Answer by 2cubs at 4:21 PM on Mar. 20, 2009