In-law is upset at not be chosen the Godparent.

My husbands sister- in- law called him and asked if my husbands brother could be the co-godparent becasue he was upset at not being chosen to be the Godfather. We chose close relatives of mine. Personally, my husband never said he wanted his brother to be the Godfather, I felt that without saying, he actually didn't want his brother to be the Godfather even though his brother wanted and expressed the desire to be. Plus, whenever I asked my husband if he wanted his brother to be a Godparent, he never once said yes. Now I feel like were being put in the middle and I don't feel it was right for his sister in law to call him and impose this on us. We have already made a decision. But I feel bad. Am I making the right decision? We shouldn't have his brother be a co-Godparent out of guilt, right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• right, being an uncle should be enough for him. Uncles rock!

Answer by admckenzie at 4:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Never do something out of guilt.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 4:02 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• This is yours and your husbands decision no theres. He should be thankful that he gets to be an uncle instead.
    Native_Mommy253

Answer by Native_Mommy253 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• it's your baby- your decision. Personally I think it is rude to ask to be someone's choice as godparent.
    it's like 3rd grade PE "OOH PICK ME! PICK ME!"
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 4:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• This is your child. This is a very serious and personal decision so you stick to your decisions and let the question fall on deaf ears. No second guessing... I find the SIL is very tactless and needs some ettiquette lessons.
    steponme

Answer by steponme at 4:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I don't think you should let them guilt you into changing your decision. I'm not religious or have a whole lot of knowledge about the godparent thing, but we plan on asking my husband's sister if she and her husband would be our child's guardian if something were to happen to the both of us. She is also pregnant and I have no expectations what-so-ever of her asking the same of us. If they do, then we will be happy to agree, but if they chose her husband's sister, then good. It isn't going to hurt our feelings.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• For your sister-in-law to call and request that was incredibly rude and out of line. Godparents are completely, 100% the choice of the parents - they pick those who they feel will be the best fit for their children and there is absolutely no obligation for you to pick anyone regardless of relationship. My mom was upset that we didn't pick my sister and brother for our children, we chose our best friend's grown daughter whom we are very close to and my husband's good friend. These were the people we wanted for our children's sake.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 5:54 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• That was really rude of her to ask that of you. It's your choice and you should never make a decision like that out of the guilt that they're imposing on you. You've obviously thought a lot about it and you picked the best choice I'm sure.
    peaches330

Answer by peaches330 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 20, 2009