First time with Formula

I've been breastfeeding my son for 3 weeks (he's almost a month old), and today I tried him on Similac Advanced formula.
After about an hour or so, he threw it back up. A LOT of it!

Is it normal for a baby to throw up, or spit up, the few times on formula because they're not used to it? It is a lot thicker than breastmilk...
Did this happen to you? Should I be concerned?

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 4:01 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had trouble with Similac. After we switched to Nestle Good Start formula our son was doing well.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 4:16 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Well, Breastmilk is a lot more "watery" then formula...so that may be why the spit up looked so different. But it could also be a food allergy (like an allergy to the milk protiens in the formula) I think you should call your ped and talk to them just to make sure : )
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 4:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I started my son on Nestle Good Start when he was 5 weeks. I've never had a problem with it, and he seems to really like it.
    Ebony83

Answer by Ebony83 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• It might be that he is just not used to it but it could also be a food allergy or a lactose intolerance. It can take awhile to find a formula that works for your baby. My daughter does best on Kirkland Brand (Costco's Generic) but I breast fed for the first 6 mo. before I switched.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• If you're so "hippie", why are you using formula at all?
    Anonymous

• Sorry, I didn't see your first post about your milk supply......You need to pump more, that is why you are loosing your supply. And the posters are right, pumping does not stimulate your nipples the same way a nursing baby does- get that baby back on the breast! Go see a different LC>
    Anonymous

• WELL MY DAUGHTER IS 7 MONTHS AND JUST STARTED FORMULA.YES IS NORMAL FOR BABIES TO THROW ALOT.
    proudmommyof180

Answer by proudmommyof180 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 20, 2009