being sick while taking care of baby...Please HELP!

this sucks but it is so bad that I HAVE to take something. I can't even function. Has anyone ever just taken Nyquil or whatever kind of cold medicine and pumped and dumped?? just so you could function?? My DH is taking care of my DD right now but I feel like Ive been hit by a truck. If you can pump and dump alcohol, can you do the same with cold meds?? Please help.

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 4:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take Tylenol cold...you can bf with that
    Anonymous

• I am NOT a doctor of course, but I don't see why you couldn't take the cold medicine right after BFing--that way you have at least a couple hourse for the medicine to work before you have to BF again, and you dont have to worry about too much of it (if any) crossing into your breastmilk.
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 5:55 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Cold medicines are safe to use while breastfeeding.

And just for the record, pumping and dumping does NOT rid your breastmilk of any substance- I can't figure out where women are getting this information- but it is WRONG. Alcohol metabolizes in your breastmilk the same way it does in your blood- so the ONLY thing that will rid it out of your system is TIME. the ONLY reason you would want to pump and dump is to keep up your supply.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_drug-safety-during-breastfeeding_8790.bc
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 8:37 PM on Mar. 20, 2009