If you insist on calling private parts by the proper name.....

do you call everything by it's proper name and "not baby talk"? Like do you teach you child that it is their umbilicus and not belly button? or their gluteous maximus instead of butt? or abdomen and not stomach?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i do teach the boys its there penis they pee with it and mama's boobs are to feed babies..etc but no i don't teach them say umbilicus and all.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• no i dont not teach them "umbilicus" maybe when they are older.... thats a damn belly button...lol...thats what i was always taught
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• The reason for teaching kids proper names for their private parts is so they don't get the idea that they should be ashamed of them or be uptight about them. As far as I know, no one is uptight about their belly button. Penis and vagina are not bad words, sheesh. For those of you that insist on using silly baby words for their private parts, why are you so uptight about it?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:19 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Somebody needs a life.
    Anonymous

• actually yes I did. They still use the 'regular names'. all of it. fluatulence, masticate, etc.

I did use stomach for stomach. Stomach is the correct term.

Stomach is not the same as abdomen.

But I am a science geek. & I never inisist they use the 'correct terms'. They don't always and that's fine.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• And here I always thought "butt" was simply short for "buttocks".

Anonymous

• We use baby talk and I didn't know the belly button even had a different name.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 7:08 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• LOL anon 5:12
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 7:51 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• There are scientific names that are derived from Latin words with appropriate English words to define and mean the same thing.
    Umbilical is your naval; Gluteal are your buttocks; Gastric is your stomach; Cutaneous is your skin; Patellar are your kneecaps; Orbitals are your eyes; Nasal is your nose; Mammary refers to your breasts; Cranial is your head; Buccal or oral is your mouth; and Axillaries are your armpits.
    Referring to your abdomen is the same as referring to the large area of the lower trunk of the body.
    Your Gluteus maximus are muscles, not a body "part" to be referred to unless speaking of muscles.
    Hope this helps! I have 2 degrees in healthcare and had to learn quite a bit about A&P so feel free to ask me more if you have questions.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• By the way, we started out with cutsie names for some body parts until they grew older, then we incorporated the proper (not Latin) names so they would know. My girls (now teens) love to look at my medical books out of curiosity and quiz me every now and then to see if I know something they just learned. They love to ask if I've washed my manus lately....lol.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2009