Don't be rude...I need some thoughts.

Ok my son is 2 1/2 and has NEVER been sick.

He has had a fever for 2days but it goes down with medicine.
He has been coughing. And just a couple hours ago he started wheezing. I have to wait til his dad gets home in an hour to take him to the dr. But I was wondering what it could be. When he coughs he cries and says it hurts. You can tell there is congestion in his chest. Please dont be rude I know you are not Drs but you are moms of kids. And have probably seen this before.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sounds like a chest cold... brancisis is going around bad and if not cought can turn to Namona ?Sp...
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Sounds about like maybe bronchitis (sp?) You are doing the right thing by taking him in to the Dr. If he is still wheezing before his dad gets there take him in the bathroom and let the hot water run the steam will help. Sorry you kiddo is sick.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:22 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• AK is right. The steam will help tremendously(sp?) Im thinking either upper respitory(sp?) infection or bronchitis. If the fever is over 101 you should probably take him to the ER. Especially if he's never been sick. I hope everything goes well, good luck!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 5:27 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• sounds just like what my 12 month old has I had her at the dr. monday and they said it was crup(bronchitis).... they say its going around bad right now..let us know what the dr. says and good luck its a pain when they have that..my baby still has it and its not getting better yet
    TalindasMommy

Answer by TalindasMommy at 5:27 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Although chest colds are what everyone thinks first and for the most part they will be right.....but every now and again you will have a child who has sinus issues. My daughter used to get sick with cold like symptoms...(spelling..sorry), and several different doctors said it was chest congestion and virual and it would work it self out......it was not until 5mths later they did a head and chest x-ray and found it to be a sinus infection.
    If they are going to do a chest x-ray I would request a head x-ray to check the sinus area as well.
    Just a though!!!
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• JUST A THOUGHT!!!!
    OMG my spelling is BAD....TGIF
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 5:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Croup is NOT the same as bronchitis. Children rarely actually get bronchitis, and yes, bronchitis can turn into pneumonia.

Croup is a cold virus in the throat. When an adult has it, it causes laryngitis. When a small kid gets it, the inflammation in the throat causes the tell-tale barking cough mostly heard at night. (that's when the virus multiplies...when they are mostly idle)

Bronchitis is in the bronchial tubes at the top of the chest. Bronchiolitis is in the smaller bronchioles (or think branches) of the lungs closer to the air sacs.

If he is wheezing, you're wise to have him seen. Has he said WHERE it hurts? My older boy gets croup all the time and cries that it hurts when he coughs.....

Each thing will have different treatments, but they also have very similar things you can do...steam in the shower, run a humidifier, elevate his head, Tylenol for discomfort and blow the nose (or snot sucker if not blowing)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• my son had the same thing a while back and it was bronchitis. good thing we caught it early so it didn't turn into pneumonia!!
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 5:47 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• croup, bronchitis, pneumonia or the common cold. good luck, he may need an inhaler temporarily.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:07 PM on Mar. 20, 2009