Is it normal to dislike your stepkid?

I mean normal to the point of almost hating them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have a seriouss issue with my SS...he is a very troubled little boy. DH is fed up with it too...we have tried everything to help but nothing works. Our home is in constant turmoil and it is miserable because of him. We are both completely lost at what to do...Military school sounds like a good option to us but we can't afford it.

Although its true they are "just children" not every child is perfect...Children can have antisocial personality disorder or be a sociopath just as well as an adult can...If there is seriously a problem I can completely understand. There are mental disorders that CAN'T be fixed and yes even children can suffer from them...so yeah if you really have a "valid" reason to feel that way...I understand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2009

• "normal' isn't the word I would use...but it isn't uncommon to hear someone state they dislike theior steps.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:35 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• i only dislike my step kid because i was with my man 6 months before the baby was born so i was there first pretty much n hes not even sure its his.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 3:43 PM on Mar. 20, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Thats great reason to dislike the child. Very immature.
    Anonymous

• You were there first? Are you kidding me? You're talking about an infant, for christ's sake.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:52 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• Well, the feelings are more like when a neighbor child visits and never goes home.
    I am raising my step sons and they are 4 and 5. I have 4 boys age ranging from 6 to 21 and I love and appreciate these boys so much. I have found out that I was selfish and not in a bad way but it is very normal.
    They are only children, remember that! It takes time!
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

Are you serious??? Grow up. You dislike an innocent BABY? Real mature.

My friend disliked her stepdaughter, at first, and now they are pretty close and have an awesome relationship. It took 7 years but they did it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:34 PM on Mar. 20, 2009

• I am curious as to your age it seems you're a little immature. It is a baby after all and still needs nurturing. What I'm guessing is that you do not have children with this man and that is why you're jealous. You can still build a strong bond with this child .
    Anonymous

• This is a very unhealthly outlook, a sibling might behave this way, but not a mature adult. If your boyfriend is smart he should dump you. His child should come first, not you!
    akhlass

Answer by akhlass at 12:15 AM on Mar. 21, 2009

• No, I was jealous and I didn't not like his behavior but he was my son's brother and my husband's son so I never hated him. There were times that the things he did drove me crazy but I knew he could do better. Our family had to suffer 4 years ago when he overdosed and the guilt that I felt was overwhemling, I was I could change it but I never will be able to so my advice is you better get over that feeling!
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 21, 2009